Wednesday, March 16, 2011

While I have been away...



Well, having redesigned the front door, I thought I better explain a few things as to what I have been up to while I have been away from posting. The last couple of years have been a dry period, to say the least, in my running. Oh, I managed a couple of little races here and there, but in reality, I haven't even been going through the motions of serious training. With the latest upset (the gout!), and the arrival of another birthday, it's time to refocus, before it gets too late!

Whilst I haven't been doing any serious running, I have been keeping myself in some sort of athletic state, by becoming a regular participant with the Hash House Harriers. Firstly in Dublin, then when I moved to Argentina, I became a regular with the Buenos Aires Hash. Many purists, (Mick!) scoff at the idea of the Hash, and dismiss Hashers as a bunch of drunks, who maybe run a few miles, not helped by our own motto, that the Hash is "A Drinking Club, with a Running Problem".

Well, I can honestly say that I have met a lot of serious runners who enjoy taking part in a Hash event. They are sociable, enjoy the fun, and find it a relaxing way to run, away from the pressures of a HRM, Intervals, and trying to take a couple of seconds of their PB's. And lets be honest, how many serious runners don't enjoy a Pint after a hard race, or club training session? I like to think of the Hash as a form of Social Running, and I will continue to take part in the BA Hash while I stay living here.

So, I will report on my running, and, naturally, on my Hashing. They are inter-linked these days, and just so you can see that not all running has to be taken seriously - Here is a picture from last Sundays Pre-St Patricks Day Hash - No apologies for the apparel!

No comments: