Thursday, March 17, 2011

St Patricks Day, and a run.


As I am sure I do not have to mention, today, March 17th is St Patricks Day. The patron saint of Ireland, my homeland, and a day when millions around the world become !Irish for the Day". It's a regular feature in American cities, but surprisingly, here in Buenos Aires, it is also celebrated with much gusto, and green beer.

Obviously, the Irish ex-pat community, which is relatively large, celebrate in their own way, and last night I was invited to a reception held by "El Embajador de Irlanda". Today there will be official celebrations at the Cathedral and at Recoleta cemetary, where Admiral William Brown, founder of the Argentine Navy, and son of Mayo, is buried.

Tonight, the streets will be lined with "Plastic Paddies", all decked in green, wearing Guinness hats, and getting completely hammered. Me, well, I will be working this evening, but may grab a pint at the end of the night, to raise one to all the friends back home, who will all be tucked up in bed by then.

But before all that, I managed to get out for a morning run. Again, not a long one, just another little step as I regain some fitness, before starting to think about training, as against turning the legs over slightly faster than when taking a brisk walk. I ran the same short 2km as on Tuesday, albeit some ten seconds faster than then, although I am not trying to run for time, and I am glad to report no ill effects.

So, on with St Patricks Day celebrations, and to one and all,

Beannachtaí na Féile Pádraig oraibh!

1 comment:

Theia said...

Oof, I have heard that gout is incredibly painful. I hope your return to running is breezy and pain-free! Happy St. Patrick's Day!