Monday, March 28, 2011

Hashing in Buenos Aires


It's Monday morning and my legs are certainly feeling the aftermath of yesterdays Hash run with the Buenos Aires Hash House Harriers. Many who may see the words "Hash" will only think of the drinking side of the a Hash group. Let me say right now, that I enjoy that side of it too, but in my experience of hashing in different parts of the world, the running does not play second fiddle at all, and although most hashers may not be competitive runners, they equally enjoy the run.

Yesterday, it was the 536th time that the BA Hash has got together, going back to 1993, and for me, the last few times have seen me walking, jogging a little, and even taking a lift back when the gout was severe. With the running that I have been enjoying in the last week or two, I decided that I would want to run the macho trail - the longer run. All hashes set trails to suit all abilities, and here we have a macho and a wimp trail, which I guess are self explanatory. Yesterday, the macho trail was around 10 Km in length, and while broken up into segments, it still meant a lot more distance than I have been doing.

The trail took us down to the river, the Rio Plata, in a very nice part of the city in Nunez/Vicente Lopez. The riverside walks are well laid out, and the weather yesterday was ideal, with many locals out enjoying the autumn sun and warm weather. As we ran along, kites were flying, and at one point I was buzzed by a model aircraft, it was a pleasure to be running. Once the trail came off the water, it was into up and down climbs amongst the up-market real estate of the area, before a steady run back to house we were running from.

All in all, a run of around 10Km, and today my legs certainly know that they travelled the distance. Having said that, I don't have any other niggles, so really pleased with the run, and whilst I won't venture out today, I look forward to tomorrow, and maybe a nice easy 5 Km will be on offer.

1 comment:

Theia said...

Yay for no ill effects of a longer run!