Monday, March 21, 2011

Another week, another Kilo....

It's Monday, and the start of a three day week here, as Thursday and Friday are Feriados here, basically it means Public Holidays, so we get a 4 day weekend next. Whilst ordinary holidays are not high here (except for teachers!), there are an awful lot of feriados in the year, and it's hard to keep track of them all. This weeks is el dia nacional de la memoria por la verdad y la justica, which started well on Sunday, when a football supporter was killed at a local game between Velez and San Lorenzo, apprantly by the police - no doubt "truth & justice" will get to the bottom of it all - So sad....

Anyway, on with my slow re-build, and this morning I was up early before it got too warm on this first day of autumn, where the temperatures still are hitting the high 20's (that's high 70's to low 80's in farenheit), and I ran the shorter 2 Km route I was running last week. Whilst making no attempt to run faster, just taking it easy as I ran, and with a couple of busy crossroads to naviagte with the morning traffic, I still managed to run some 10 seconds per kilometre faster than last week, and as I say, that's without trying. Augers well...

On the second front of my target to regain fitness and running respectability, I have been dieting and cutting out the worst offenders of weight gain, and gout. When I returned to Argentina from Ireland in February, I had reached a gigantic, by my standards, 98 Kgs (216 lbs), and without question that is the heaviest I have ever been in my life. I have set a target of getting down to 80 Kgs by the end of June, thats 176 lbs, some 18 Kgs, or 40 lbs to get rid off. A lot will depend on the running, as once I can get that up to a moderate level of consistancy I know the weight will be less of an issue, and the target will be attainable.

I weigh myself on a Monday morning, and on Feb 28th, I was at the starting weight of 216 lbs (98 Kgs) - Well, today, week three into the plan, and I am already down to 205 lbs (93 Kgs), a loss of 11 lbs, or 5 kilos in three weeks - an impressive start, but as I was carrying excessive "holiday weight", it was expected. The target is a kilo a week, that's 2.2 lbs, and from here on it will be interesting to see how I manage this.

All in, I am happy with the start, and all being well this week will see a little more mileage into the legs, and further positive news as I progress.

No comments: