Monday, January 30, 2012

Injury Worries, but weight continues to drop.

This week has seen me nursing my Hamstring along, with controlled running rather than anything too dramatic. The hamstring is still very much a concern, as it isn't healing up - realistically, I need to stop running for a week to see how that helps, but with my timescale being tight, I cannot afford the break. I am alternating my running, with a harder/longer session, followed by a very light session the following day. The one thing I can say is that the injury does not actually affect me running, it's the hours following that is filled with discomfort.

On the plus side this week, I had two sessions which clearly indicate improvements all around. On Tuesday I ran a 10Km route, almost a minute faster than I had previously run this route, in under 53 minutes, without feeling any strain at the faster pace, and without increasing the pace as I would in a race situation approaching the finish. And on Friday, I used the gym to check if any speed had come back to me as I progressed with the increased distances. I ran a timed 4Km run on the treadmill, recording 19:51 for the distance, my fastest over a 4Km time trial since August 2009, so things going well on two fronts - distance and speed.

And finally, the icing on the cake. My weekly weigh-in saw the scales reach their lowest point in many a year - 87 Kgs., which is just under 192 lbs. I still have a way to go to get to my target on April 1st of 80 Kgs., but I am very happy with this progress, and it makes the sacrifices all worth while.

1 comment:

Theia said...

Uh oh, the wonky hamstring doesn't sound good... But the weight loss and increased speed do!