Thursday, January 05, 2012

Increasing the distance

After my four days in a row, I needed a rest yesterday, my ageing limbs aren't used to all this exercise, so I put my feet up, and allowed the muscles to adjust. This morning, I woke early and checked the forecast for today, with a Max High of 33 showing, so after taking in some fluids, I was out on the road just after 8am, even though it was already up to 23 degrees.

Obviously, I need to increase the mileage, and as previously suggested, it's a balance to daily running and distance, without overdoing it. One of my difficulties for running from the front door is the lack of green space nearby. All runs have to commence with a fair amount of roads, and as the sidewalks/pavements here are terribly maintained, it is the road that I hit.

Today's run took me to the park, but it also takes a 3Km straight run along a main road to get there, and, naturally enough, it's 3Km back. But it is worth it, and whilst I don't plan to simply add laps of the park to make distance, it is easy enough, and won't get boring for a while. A lap of the park is around 1.25Km, so easy enough to build up distance by using this park. An alternative is to head to the Capital, and Puerto Madero, the modern docklands of the city, where there are loads of runners, and open spaces, without vehicles, but again, it's a long urban run to get there, around 5Km, so those runs will be a few weeks away once I start getting up into the high teens and above. But there is hope...

Back to today's run, and despite the heat, I ran steadily, enjoyed the lap of the park, also seeing a few other morning runners, not a common sight locally, and headed back as the intensity of the sun increased. No wild animals to report, a few urban ones, and a siamese cat who gave me an evil eye as I approached, and scooted off in front of me, looking back, before darting into a doorway - Oh well.... managed the run at a pace of a tad over 5:30 per Km, not feeling too bad, although the legs needed some good stretching when I got back.

Already 22.5 for the month, which is way ahead of last year - The pace may be slow, but the miles Kilometres are getting there...

No comments: