Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Heatwave and No Electricity

Phew! What a scorcher!!!!

Well, the first couple of days this week have been unbearably hot - Temps hit the 40 mark on Tuesday afternoon, certainly not conducive for running. To make matters worse, our electricity went out at 10:22 on Monday night, and with midnight temperatures still around the 30 mark, and no air con, it was a very difficult nights sleep. But I managed to get up and out for an early morning run. I would have liked to have got out an hour earlier, but at 8.30 I was out - with the temp already reaching the 30 mark.

I had planned a 10Km run, using a regular route to the park at Villa Dominico, and instead of the one circuit I have been doing, I would make three laps, with each one being 1.3 Kms, hence my 10. However, the temperature was climbing rapidly as I ran, bit the air, and mine, and by the time I got to the park I was feeling the heat. I had tried to run in the shade on the road to the park, but once I arrived, there was no hiding place. I managed two laps, and was feeling the heat, so decided to live to fight another day, and cut the run short to 8.7 Kms, feeling terrible by the time I got home. The day got worse with the heat, and still no electricity!

Wednesday morning and, thankfully, the temps had dropped to the 20's, after some rain overnight, which had allowed a decent(ish) sleep, but still no electric! I was feeling the effects of the run from yesterday, so went for a short recovery run of only 3.25 Kms, and legs were feeling heavy, as one would expect at present. Clearly have to take consideration of the heat this month, as I build the daily runs, and the stamina in the legs, but happy enough with the progress being made.

No comments: