Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Another Race - This time Track and 3000m

I know I ran that 8K Road Race on Saturday, and I have a 10 Miler planned for Saturday, but I couldn't resist the 3000m Track Race organised by the BHAA tonight. The races were handicapped based on the expected finish times, linked into the scoring system for the BHAA series (it's complicated so I won't bore you here). Suffice to say I was down to run in Race 2, the 13 to 15 minute expectors!

When we came to the line, our race included all the top women as well us us 13 minute guys, and as expected, once the race started, the six top women were immediately in front (where they stayed!) Now, because of the wide range of time in the race, it was a relatively boring race for me, in that I was running alone after the first lap, and just concentrated on my own time. No real splits, but I was watching the clock each lap, and aside from an overquick first 400m, I settled nicely into a rhythm, caught and passed one runner on lap 5, was lapped by the first three women, and I think I finished fourth - but most importantly I ran a strong last 400m and clocked 12:51 for the 3000m, a sub 7 minute mile pace (sorry I still compare myself by mile times!).

Fair to say I was very happy with running 12:51 for 3K, and after the race and return home, I went for a 2.4 mile run around the quays to warm down and clock a few more miles into the legs, for a good nights work. Looking forward to Saturday now, and the 10 Mile Race.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The races where you are alone are the toughest ones! Great times though.

Massage Chair

Brendan said...

Running alone is the toughest thing to do -- especially on the track!

I had a lot of trouble with the 5000m and the 10000m in college on the track. My mind just could not do it. As it turned out, I was a much better 800-1500 runner anyway.