Saturday, July 21, 2007

W3D6 - Saturday Morning Buddy Running

As some know, I frequent a running community site Kickrunners, and over the years I have met many from the site and it's precursors Kick! and Cool Running. I am grateful to these sites for widening my base of running friends, and many I have met have become long standing friends of the family. Well, today I added a new friend to my list, a Canadian working here in Dublin, who uses an unusual handle, Horrible Peanut, on Kickrunners. His real name is Mike, and he is training for the Berlin Marathon in September.

Well, this morning we met up and went for a buddy run. Something that has been missing from my agenda lately, as my regular training partner is sidelined. We ran out from the Grand Canal to the Ringsend Peninsular, running through the park and across the trails. The only drawback around here is the Waste Treatment Works, which does lend something to the air, but that helped us pick up the pace. On the plus side when you round the head of the peninsular, and turn back towards the mainland, you get a spectacular view across Sandymount Strand, with the cloud shrouded Dublin Hills as a backdrop, real James Joyce evocative moments, my thoughts wandering to Ulysses.

Back to running and we completed our run by crossing the Liffey and looping the quays. All in all I ran 7 miles, in a touch over the hour. Mike continued on as he is eight weeks ahead of me in his training, and he also needed to run home to Ranelagh. A pleasant run, good chat passing the time, and a good work out.

Just in case anyone got the wrong idea from a previous post. I have NO intention of closing down my blog. As DC says, how could you all keep tabs on me and make sure I am doing the training if I didn't write here. Keep reading.....

No comments: