Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Day1/Week 1....... Philly here I come

It's here. 20 weeks of hard training, 20 weeks of pushing my body, 20 weeks of getting out when I don't want to, 20 weeks of black toes, 20 weeks of ups and downs - they start here, now, today. No putting things off, no excuses. I WANT to run the Philadelphia Marathon well. I'm not going to make myself a hostage to fortune and say right now that I will run 3:35 or 4:35 for the race, but I will be as prepared as I possibly can be, and I will do my best - That much I owe myself.

My Week One Plan goes like this :
Monday 3 Miles Easy
Tuesday 5 Miles Easy
Wednesday 4 Miles Easy
Thursday 5 Miles Easy
Friday 4 Miles Easy
Saturday 3 Miles Easy
Sunday 7 Miles Easy

So Monday arrives and out I head. I don't actually have a 3 Mile route locally, so I cheat a little and run a 2.6 mile loop, along the quays, over the road bridges locally. I treat this as a light jog, clocking the run purely as an indicator, and I run around 8:40 pace for a 22:30 run. I can use this route for my 5 miler, running it twice, a little more than 5 miles, so I don't feel guilty at running slightly under the plan - I did manage to get out and run - The vitally important bit.

The weight is an issue and one that has to be addressed. It's been an issue for a year or more really. I hover around 196/198 on a regular basis, and obviously to reduce this to around 180 will improve my speed as I carry less flab - So today, Week One, Day One, I weigh in at 197 lbs - Watch this space..... Roll on Day 2....

2 comments:

Thomas said...

Congratulations on making it out of the house. You're right - that's the vitally important bit.

As the training miles increase those weight issues should automatically be dealt with - as long as you're sensible regarding your food intake.

Liam said...

Thanks Thomas, appreciate your input, especially with what you have achieved since we started blogging.