Friday, June 09, 2006

THE World Cup starts today!

As I'm sure everyone is aware, including those of you reading this in the US, the Football World Cup starts today in Germany. Now, I deliberately used the word football here, becasue that's what it is. It's not soccer, it's FOOTBALL! - OK, that one out of the way.

Every 4 years, as a football fan, I look forward to the staging of the World Cup, and 4 weeks of back to back games. the 2006 event kicks off tonight with Germany v Costa Rica, and I will be glued to the TV at 5 pm (Irish time) as the ball gets rolling. I do have a quandry this year as to who to support. We failed to qualify this time, and so th epassion will not be in my support. It stiicks in the throat to support England ;), but as a Liverpool fan I will be cheering on their players, and with 4 Liverpool players in the England squad, I'll certainly be cheering the lads on. Spain have three "Scousers" in their squad, so they will get a cheer as well, and even Australia will get an eye from me.

Irrespective of who I will be cheering to victory, I am looking forward to seeing the best players take the stage, and despite Brazil being favourites, this year could see anyone of 5 or 6 teams vying for the title. Argentina are a good side, Italy will be there or there abouts. The French will be disciplined, and despite Germany being out of sorts, they are at home and will be expected to do well. England could do well, and maybe one of the African quintent will spring a suprise. Can the USA shock everyone and win a match?

All will be revealed over the next few weeks - I hope I can managed to get some running done between matches as well, my rest period is almost over, and Monday sees me working hard to achieve my own goals, and my attempts to qualify for my own World Cup - BOSTON!

12 comments:

Thomas said...

You're wrong, football is that game where you get one point for putting the ball over the bar and three points for a goal, and, more importantly, Kerry usually humiliate the Dubs. And the thing that starts today is the soccer worldcup ;-)

Jack said...

I would love to see the USA win a match, especially if they could play against Germany - this would make office life really interesting for this American :-)

Bridges Runner said...

Yay World Cup. Let's just say not a lot of work getting done today when the games start up...

Liam said...

Thomas - Don't get me started - I'm an Ulster man, so are you sure you want to get into a debate about GAA, and Kerry :)....

It's NOT SOCCER! OK!

nyflygirl said...

is it just wrong to say that i'd be paying the most (or at least more) attention to David Beckham? :-p

Dori said...

The company where my husband works is hosting all their European distributors here this week. I'll bet there was a lot of grumbling in Europe (and especially at the German office) when they saw the big meeting was the same weekend as the World Cup! I'm sure no one here had a clue when they scheduled it. But you can be sure they'd never schedule a big meeting during the Super Bowl.

Thomas said...

Liam, I was just kidding. Actually, I'm mad into football, and will be glued to the telly for the next 4 weeks (Niamh has ALERADY started complaining - on the first day!).

And Kerry are still THE football team. Last year's final was a minor wobble not to be repeated.

Brendan said...

Hey, if Trinidad and Tobago can play Sweden to a 0-0 draw, maybe the USA can win one!

DawnB said...

Football once every 4 years and only for 4 weeks. I think my husband would absolutely die!!! Try to get some running in at half time :)

Anonymous said...

Heh. I work primarily with Europeans and Brits and Irish who don't consider themselves Europeans - a distinction that's lost on me, although I know better than to challenge it.

I'm not a football fan, so it's going to be a good week to get caught up on things. Enjoy the festivities.

Liam said...

Thomas - I knew you were kidding, but will the kingdom come down of that lofty perch?

Dawn - The World Cup may only be every 4 years, but football is played for around 45 weeks of the year normally over here, so plenty to go round.

SS - It's the Brits who see themselevs as Little Islanders, not us Irish love Europe, being in the EU has helped our economy no end.

Anonymous said...

Thomas
Hasn't Tyrone beaten Kerry more than once, after the Kerry coach said after all it's only Tyrone BEFORE they were beat?
Roy