Wednesday, June 14, 2006

This will be harder than I thought

OK - Well, it's Day three of my "Train to Boston" goal, and this could be tough, I have just realised that I am not getting any younger :). Last night my programmes said 4 Miles, so off I went and 4 miles later I was back home feeling awful. A week away from running, just one week, has set me back 6! I felt jaded, my legs were like lead, and my mental state to run was seriously challenged.

All the time whilst I was running I was thinking of what will be, and how I can reach my goal. I maintained an argument with myself as to how I can do this, how I can balance my life with my running and achieve my goal. I was delighted to have read a new Blog fom an old friend, Jill over in Nashville, who is joining me on the Boston Train, and that kept me going, and won the argument as to why I was out there. Old friends, and new friends, all connected with running and a large part of the reason I run, the friendships made and the journeys made.

It will get easier again, the excess weight, added in the past month since Prague, will fall off. In a few short weeks I will read this and wonder why I wrote it - For now, it's grit the teeth and work hard - I never said it would be easy.

PS - World Cup Update. So far, having seen 28 of the 32 teams in action, I have been disappointed. Brazil won, but were a shadow of their former selves, France were appalling, England won but need to improve to stand a hope. The best sides so far have been the Czechs, the Italians (in fits and starts), and the host nation Germany. Last four sides play their opening games today, Spain versus Ukraine should be an interesting match up, and more will be revealed as the tournament starts to get interesting as the second phase of matches commences.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One step at a time, Liam. I'd like to be in Boston too (needed 3:45:59 in 2003; ran 3:46:21, so it was painfully close), but I'm afraid it may be a rather long shot for me this year. Nevertheless, we'll both forge ahead and do what we can do, right?

Anonymous said...

Good stuff Liam. Have just relaunched my own efforts with a race in September in mind. It's never easy pushing the miles back up to what you've done before. We sometimes forget that it wasn't effortless the first time either. Keep at it.

Mick Rice.

Brendan said...

Getting back into training isn't easy, but then easy doesn't really describe any aspect of the sport, does it?

I wish I could catch more than just a few games of the world cup, but I'm considered a luddite around here, since I don't have cable TV. I'm just glad I got to see the US-Italy game.

Anonymous said...

Excellent, love it! »