Saturday, December 31, 2011

The end of the year... And a final run before the bell tolls...

The last couple of weeks have seen little activity due to a couple of things. After my session in mid-month with a form of interval training, I suffered a reaction which I feared might have been a re-occurence of the problem I had earlier in the year - the dreaded Gout! Thankfully, I think this was more a simple stress injury in the tendon in my left foot, but I felt it best to lay off the running for a week, so as not to cause any more damage, and to ensure that it wasn't gout again.

So, this week I ventured to the gym on Tuesday, and managed an easy 3km, and followed this up tonight with the final run of the year, an easy 3.25Km run in 16:56, on a familiar route, which felt easy, and with no niggles as I ran. I conclude a roller-coaster year with very little to shout about, but a determination to put the problems behind me in 2012, and have a great running year.

Looking back on 2011, there were very few running highs to write about, with the exception of actually filling in the entry form, and paying for, the Santiago Marathon next year. But the obvious highlight of the year was the arrival of little Maisie, my first grand-child, and being there when she was just a few hours old - a new life entering the world - Let's hope she grows up to see a better place than the present state.

It's usual for people to make resolutions today, that last a week, if they are lucky, and every year we sit down as runners, and plan that the next year will be better, our training more structured, our goals set out, and by March we have forgotten everything. By way of getting myself motivated I have a plan in my my head, which will involve a number of Marathons, which mean a lot of training, hard work, and an ability to overcome the Hot Summer weather here, at least twice a week, for a long run, which I cannot complete in the gym.

I'm starting the year by signing up for Jantastic, a wonderful motivational bit of fun from the guys at Marathon Talk, a wonderful, weekly, Podcast which I thoroughly recommend you listen to if you haven't already tuned in - Their interviews each week are brilliant, none more so than the recent one with Steve Jones, who was my motivation back in the 80's when I started running seriously. Make yourself a resolution to listen in each week - well worth it....

The final note from me to the two people left who read this - Have a Very Happy New Year, don't celebrate too much, get a run in on New Years Day to Kickstart the year, and may you reach your goals for 2012, as I aim to reach my own.

1 comment:

PaulaZ said...

Inspirational as usual... :)