Monday, December 12, 2011

Tired Legs

An interesting weekend in my latest quest to regain fitness, and listened to some good advice.

After the race on Thursday, I felt good, encouraged by it, despite the relative slow time, and on Friday evening I attended the Despedida Hash here in BA for the imminent departure of our long serving GM. The run was around 6Km, in three stages, and I actually enjoyed the full run, no great pace, but consistently running along.

I had planned to race on Sunday morning, again over 10Km, but listening to experienced heads over at Kickrunners, and listening to my own body, I felt that it was a bit much to be asking the body at this stage, to run another 10Km at race pace so soon after Thursday. so, discretion took place and I didn't go to the race.

Am I glad I passed. I went for a morning run, intending to run an easy 7Km, but within 100 meters of the house, my legs felt like lead. Obviously the 10Km, followed by the 6Km had left their mark, and I was struggling. I hoped that they would loosen up after a few more minutes of running, but they didn't, so I decided to cut short the run, and completed a 4.2 km run in just over 22 minutes. Not a bad pace, given how I felt, but a wake up call to say how much work is still needed before I can expect to have great runs every day.

16 Weeks to Santiago and a heck of a journey of Hard Work over this period....

1 comment:

Theia said...

It's easy to say baby steps. It's much harder to do it! Good job listening to your body.