Friday, December 09, 2011

Finally - The race post - Hispano argentina maraton 10K - Dec 8th

Don't get alarmed, they call every race here a "Maraton" you get used to it after a couple of years. Well, today was the day, my venture into 10Km races in this latest attempt to rekindle my running life. The lead up had not gone well, as we had a power cut from 11pm last night until 2:15 this morning, which with temps in the high 20's overnight, and no air con, was not the best way to get a good nights sleep.

Waking up at 6.30, with temps already around the 20C mark, and the sun cracking the flags at least meant that it would be a dry race.... I took the bus and the subte to Plaza Italia, and down to Plaza Espana, (We have a lot of Plaza's named for countries here - we were to run around Plaza Croatia in the race as well!), and met up with my pal John, wearing his County Mayo GAA shirt, rather than the Race Shirt. We had said we would wear Irish Shirts, but as mine are Rugby Shirts and heavy duty, there was no way I was tempting that today.

The build up was well organised, no queues for Chip Collection, or Baggage drop, and with quite a lot of runners milling around, I have no idea of the overall number, we waited in teh shade until the last minute before heading over to the start line. John was aiming for sub 50, while I was being more patient and seeking around 55 minutes, so we wished wach other luck, and right on time, (very unusual for Argentina.....OUCH!!!) the race was off, with temps probably around 28C by now.

STOP PRESS>>>>> Just as I was typing this, we had yet another power cut - This one lasted six hours, in which I drank a few glasses of wine over lunch with an old friend, and talked running.

So - view of the race. Here are my splits - 26:59 for first 5K (5:37 - 5:15 - 5:24 - 5:16 - 5:27). It was hot, heading towards 28C by the end, but I only needed to take a break after 7K, so my splits followed at 5:25, to 5:34, before the walk break resulted in a 5:59 eigth Km, but I persevered and managed am incredible 5:08 (fastest Km) at the ninth, maybe it was short, as my final Km was 5:42, and I know I was running hard over the last Km, as I passed quite a few people in the last 250 metres.

Completed the task, with a finishing time of 54:47, which works out at an age graded performance of 57.77% - Not great, but within my target and a good sign of keeping the progress going....


The shirt (and medal) from today....

No comments: