Wednesday, November 30, 2011

After a few butt kicks - I stopped reading and went for a run

Despite the relatively reasonable, given the heat and the level of fitness I know I have at the moment, race on Sunday, I was feeling a little down yesterday, reviewing my time, and comparing it to what I was capable of running only a few short years ago. So, I went back to my old haunt at Kickrunners and posted a question regarding motivation, and how you got it back after such a long lay off, Well, I got a couple of butt kicks from old "friends" - well deserved I might add, and it has helped me assess the situation, and I know what I have to do - So I will.......

KSRUNR over there, came up with a great line for all of us who read far more about running than we actually run! His quote - "Quit Reading This and Go Run!" - So I did........

Well, to be fair, he posted that yesterday, and whilst not trying to find excuses, I didn't get a planned run in yesterday. It was well into the 90's all day, so i went to the gym for a treadmill run, only to find all the power out in that part of town, sadly a common occurrence in the summer down here - As soon as it gets hot, the AC Units are powered up at full blast, and the systems can't cope, so frequent power outages (we had three on Saturday at the house!)...

But I did today. At the weekend, I received personal delivery of a new pair of Asics Nimbus 13's from my good friend Vincent, who had brought them down from New York, on one of his many trips down to South America - the joys of being retired. It may seem a long way to bring shoes, but they cost twice the price here for last years model, as government import restrictions make it difficult for non-Argentine companies to compete in the local market, despite Buenos Aires having the largest growth for running related products in South America, but if savings are to be made, and I get the right shoe, I'm a happy chap...

So today, with power on, I went the gym, and ran an easy, even-paced, 5Km run in 27:12, feeling comfortable, with no after effects from Sunday, and no difficulties with the pace at all, which augurs well. I also weighed myself at the gym, and found I had dropped to 91Kgs, which leaves me with 11 to go to my target by April of 80Kgs - I started at 93kgs, and have a 14% weight loss target - at 1% per week - seems reasonable -

And as for KSRUNR's quote I stopped reading, and I ran :) - And it felt great..........

My new Shoes :)

No comments: