Monday, November 21, 2011

Just because we enjoy a beer after - It's still a Hard Run!

I appreciate that to the dedicated runner, my enjoyment of the Hash House Harriers, and my participation in hashes every two weeks here in Buenos Aires, may seem like a diversion away from any attempt I may have to get back into serious shape to achieve my goal of the Santiago Marathon next April. Well, I can say that in BsAs we have many serious runners who partake in the Hash, none more so than this weekends hare, Gonzalo, who is a very experienced runner, tri-athlete, and medal winner at adventure races around Latin America. This past weekend, the hash had their annual weekend event, this year celebrating the 555th Run by the pack here, and we all went to Carilo, some 400km south of the capital, on the Atlantic Coast, set in a forest, with a wonderful hotel, and beautiful weather for running, and relaxing.

As it was a weekend event, we had two runs planned, late Saturday afternoon. and then again on Sunday lunchtime. We arrived on Friday evening, had a nice Mexican meal, and an early night, waking to glorious sunshine on Saturday. A stroll down to the beach, and dipping toes into the cold Atlantic - The air temperature may have been 28, but the Antarctic Drift ensured the water was freezing - I certainly caught the sun, and am presently a nice shade of lobster! After a light lunch, the Hashers got together and the first run of the weekend set off. With two runs planned over the weekend, and knowing that Gonzalo would not have set easy runs, I took it easy on Saturday, only running the shorter, and easier run of around 6Km, through woods, beach and sandy roads, but still felt like I had a decent run, and the disappointment of Thursdays gym session was forgotten.

After a party on Saturday night, with a lot of energy spent dancing, Sunday morning arrived with, once again, the sun shining, and conditions set for a serious run. Gonzo didn't disappoint, and as he knows that I am gearing up for Santiago, he pushed me all the way, with a tough run, along the trails, and up and down sand dunes, before insisting I ran the full distance, which amounted to around 12Km. Obviously, as this is a hash, this distance is a touch stop and start, but the last 4 Km was a full run with the better runners, and with one or two others potentially looking at marathons in the fall (southern hemisphere one!), I was happy that whilst not quite keeping up their pace (most of them 20 years younger than me as well!), I managed to get a great run in and I can confirm this morning that I felt it - My legs are aching, but in a good way - from hard exercise, and a new found belief that I can once again run a decent distance.

As my good friend Theia says, baby steps, and the hash has at least kept me going when other running may have been falling my the wayside. Onwards and upwards........

No comments: