Sunday, April 03, 2011

April arrives, and no fooling!

Where is the year going, that's a quarter gone already, summer has turned to autumn, and next month I will be heading home to welcome the arrival of my first grand-child. In the meantime, April fools day came and went, along with an excellent evening on Friday at a new Frinking venue, Treffen, which is not only a bar, but also a beer museum, and serves some excellent artesnal beers, although I was good and limited my consumption to a few pints. Whilst the doctor did tell me that beer isn't the worst thing I can take with the gout, he did suggest limiting to only once a week, and so far I have been a good boy! (Well, OK, three times a fortnight isn't too bad, is it?).

I had planned to go to the gym on Saturday for a timed workout, but once again, it was a holiday here. Yet another feriado, this one being "el dia del veterano y caidos en malvinas", 29 years since the invasion of the islands commenced, back in 1982. It meant the gym was closed, and instead, I watched football - which I wish I hadn't, seeing as all three of the teams I follow lost! In the end I didn't get a run in, but I would on Sunday.

And I did!

The weather has changed a little in the last few days, and this morning the skies were leaden as I put on my shorts. I wanted to extend the distance a little more, as I had set myself a goal of 5 Km by this weekend, and I planned a run to the park at Villa Dominico, which I have run before, a year or so back!. Naturally, before I went 200m the heavens opened, and a cool rain began to fall. Clearly being from Ireland, running in the rain is something I am used to, so it was not a bother, and I eased along at a slow pace, enjoying the quiet Sunday roads.

Still feeling the discomfort in the right hip/top of leg,(I must look up the name of this muscle group!), and keeping a careful eye on it while I run. It isn't hindering my running at all, at least not at the pace I am presently running at, but something I am aware of, and need to be wary of as I extend the distances, and hopefully, begin to pick up the pace.

A long post today, but the run was uneventful on the way back from the park entrance. I didn't go into the park today, but that will be a feature soon, I hope. The rain had stopped, and I was feeling tired as I passed 25 minutes running, but I plodded on to the house, and completed the run of 5.75 Km (according to gmaps) in 31:27, a pace of around 5:30 per Km, still very slow, but speed is something to worry about in a couple of months. At the moment I'm hoping to build over this month, so I can be running 10 Km comfortably by the beginning of May - We shall see..

No comments: