Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Over the Hump

Monday was a planned rest day, but Tuesday wasn't, and I have to confess to be a little lazy yesterday. I had intended a run in teh early evening, after teaching a couple of classes in the afternoon, but when I got home, I sat down, started to watch football (the mid-week European evening games are on around 4 pm here), and by the time they had finished it had started to go dark, so I chickened out of a run.

So, today I wasn't going to be a wimp. The temperatures were hanging around the high 20's all day (80's to US readers), and getting home in the early afternoon, I wasn't going to head out in that heat. Those temps are high for mid-April here, as we should be cooling down as autumn is 1/3 rd in already here. So, i waited until the sun was at least heading down, and at 6 I laced up, and out I went for a steady run along a familiar route just short of 6 Km. The traffic was heavier than usual, given the time of day, and I got held up at a few junctions as this is very much an urban run, but I still managed to run around the same time as the last Sunday morning run over this route, and I felt I was only jogging, so all going well.

Looking at the race calendar for the next few months, and not sure when I will run my first race of this new birth, but it should be in teh next month or so, just to test out the legs over a race condition, not that I will be truly racing. One race I do hope to do is the Bann 10K, back home in Banbridge, which takes place the day I arrive home for the imminent arrival of my first granchild. There aren't many races around Banbridge, and I ran this one last year, and made a pigs ear of it, so I have some revenge to get on the course. Last year, I ran or more like ran a bit, walked a bit, in over the hour - OUCH!!! I will get my own back.....

2 comments:

Dori said...

Hi Liam,
Thanks for your comment, and encouragement. It's nice to see you running again. Good luck with your marathon training and here's to a PR for both of us!

Theia said...

Glad you got out there!