Tuesday, September 26, 2006

MIA - Apologies

I appreciate that a few people have been logging on to catch up with me (I have one of those site metres), and I have failed to keep up to date with my Blog this week. I seem to be good at writing excuses on this blog, but I have been trying to tie up the loose ends before I leave my existing job this Thursday, starting my new one next Monday morning, so I have been busy at work.

All the work has left little time to play, either on here, on other's blogs, and sadly, very little running. Having made the decision to postpone the Dublin Marathon till next year (for me I mean), I decided to ease off panicing, deal with the work and get back into the running once I start the new job, so no problems really.

In many ways it's a relief not to be going through those nerves one has when you are 5 weeks or so away from a target race. No worries about getting in the last 20 miler, worries about the pace you did that 12 miler in last weekend. Worries about the little niggle you had in your knee when you did that speed session last night - You know the feelings? And for those reading this, and getting ready for their first Marathon - We ALL get those doubts, we ALL ask ourselves the same question, and believe me, YOU will ask those questions right up until you cross the starting line on Race Day.

I'm looking forward to the next few weeks - the new job, new running, and setting my plans for my first 2007 races. I'll actually try a few short races for fun before Xmas - There is a 4 Mile Business House Race on Oct 16th I'll probably run for fun, and there is always the Jingle Bells Races in the run up to the holidays, so all is not lost for the year. I'm really looking forward to the Dublin Marathon and maybe giving back something to running by helping others on the day in whatever way I can - Should be fun.

7 comments:

Dori said...

Good luck with your new job. I'm not running the Twin Cities Marathon, which is Sunday, and it's difficult to think about, now that it's here. It was nice not having to train all summer, though. I plan to help out my friends who are running it.

Anonymous said...

Hope the transition goes smoothly for you. I'm glad to hear that you're planning on volunteering and helping people through Dublin. When I had to cancel running New York this year for reasons outside of my control, I was far too demoralized to have anything to do with it. Yours is a healthier attitude by far.

Anonymous said...

Hi Liam,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you. I've been busy busy busy. If the offer still applies to meet up on a short run, we'd be delighted to take you up on it.
Best of luck with the new job.
Drop us a line if/when you can meet up.

Anonymous said...

Organisation is the key to getting runs in so I think your plan is a good one. There's nothing worse than having to fit in a run around work, friends/ famil;y & sleep.
My sister was just over for the week & though I still got training in, I did feel like I wasn't keeping my schedule very well.
Next year if I run the marathon again, I will definately organize my training better.
Re what Phil said about training, I would like that too. It would be good to associate with a fellow runner that understands the busy life of a runner.

DawnB said...

Liam, good luck with your new job. I hope the transition go smoothly.

Anonymous said...

Oops. Maybe some wishful thinking on my part. New York is still on for this year; it was last year that I had to cancel.

Brendan said...

Work does seem to get in the way of running, doesn't it? I'm now looking toward 2007 races myself.