Monday, September 11, 2006

Que Sera, Sera

With time ticking away, and much to do on the home front, I have decided to give up worrying about the Dublin Marathon, and look towards next spring and Connemara and beyond. Whilst I will more than likely run around Dublin on October 30th, along with 10,000 others, I will not be looking for anything beyond completion. I have Seven weeks to get prepared, rather than 7 weeks worrying about whether I'll be fit enough to run under 4 hours.

In the meantime I can work on getting my fitness levels up. Look at short races as sessions to help me get my leg speed up, and work seriously on my weight. As I have got older I have found it harder and harder to keep my weight down. I'm presently hoving just under the 200lbs mark, actually 198 this morning. Whilst not quite the heaviest I have ever been, it's heading that way. Ideally I would like to be running at 175lbs or below, and although I am 6 foot and not overweight per se, I have always been light framed, and so the weight tends to go on in the wrong places, so to speak. So, that is my task for the next few months - Serious weight loss, and sustainable weight loss. No point in doing what I have tended to do in recent years, lose pounds, get to a weight I am happy with, and then pile them back on again when nobody is looking!

5 comments:

chantal2bfit said...

Hi Liam! Thanks for visiting my blog! Wow! Your running record is very impressive! As for C25K, I didn't follow it. I got into running last year when I followed the BFL program for weight loss, specifcally the 20 minutes HIIT for cardio. I never ran before, but by following HIIT, I learned to run 20 minutes straight, and then I went on from there. I'm still a novice, but I'm loving it!

Anonymous said...

Hi Liam, re the 7 miler you were asking me about. I have attached a link for the Dublin Half Marathon that shows the map of the course. Our 7 miler is the first 3 and a half miles of the course x 2. Its fairly easy but the straight is a little boring.
Yeh got great runners on Sunday, Nike Air. My old ones were Nike Air too but my new ones have much more cushioning in the sole so my feet feel much better when they land. I got them drenched last night thouigh splashing in & out of the puddles like a child! Ha.
Let me know how you get on with the 7 miler.
Sarah

Bridges Runner said...

Smart move, Liam. It's hard to do but getting your fitness together will go a long way towards your long term goal. Boston 2008!

DawnB said...

Have a nice weekend. I know this was a hard decision to make. I know you had heart on BQ for 2007.there is a reason for everything and it looks like you have really thought this through

Anonymous said...

You're doing the right thing, Liam. But of course, you knew that already. ;-) Take care and best wishes for getting back into the groove the way it should be done.