Monday, September 18, 2006

Monday, Monday - Why am I so Lazy?

Another weekend has passed, and once again running takes a back seat. As you would know if you've been following my rambles, I have been slack in my training this summer, and no matter how well intended I am in getting back to speed, I'm struggling when it comes to actually doing it!

Take this weekend for example. Friday evening, it took me 2 hours to get home, the 5 miles that usually takes 30 minutes. There had been an accident and the road was blocked. Now, I had trained at lunchtime in the gym, 2 miles on the treadmill and a short circuit, but I had wanted to get out for a little run when I got home. I didn't, I went for a pint instead, to ease the traffic frustrations I had endured.

Saturday I had to go up to the North to visit my mum - I do this every weekend, she's 92, still living at home, but not particularly mobile, so I go up, draw her pension, makes sure she has everything she needs, and spend Saturday evening watching TV with her. I took my kit, but by the time I had driven the 75 mile trip, I had to sort a few things, do her garden, go to Belfast for some shopping, I didn't run.

Sunday, I was intending to go for a run in the morning before heading home, but I didn't. I stayed in bed - had a lie in. By the time I decided to get up, I was pushed for time, I needed to get home to watch the Liverpool v Chelsea soccer match. I drove home, watched the game, with a beer or two, and so ended any hope I had of running.

I don't write this to glamorise being lazy, or the fact that I enjoy a beer now and again, I write it to try and give myself a guilt trip. Today, it's Monday morning again, and I start the week with good intent. I'll head the gym at lunchtime today, maybe do 3 miles on the treadmill, and tonight I have to study. Tomorrow I have a meeting, Wednesday I'm meeting friends, Thursday, my boss is leaving and we have a "do" for him, so we'll see how much, or how little, I can manage this week.

I have made the decision to skip Dublin. I'll be there, and will encourage everyone, maybe run the last 6 miles and act as a tow truck , but the way I feel right now, I'd struggle even with 6, never mind 26 - C'est la vie. But I will get back, that I promise, and Boston 2008, although it seems a long way away right now, is still going to motivate me - I hope!

9 comments:

Thomas said...

Even if you're not running the marathon (which doesn't come as a big surprise after your last few weeks and months), I'm still banking on finally meeting you face to face on that weekend.
I won't endulge in too many pints a day or two before the marathon, though!

Thomas said...

Hang on. Did you just say your mum is 92, and living on her own? Bloody Hell! She must be one independent woman.

Anonymous said...

Brave decision not to run Dublin Liam, but probably the correct one. I'm available if you want to use your spare time to coach two first timers. ;0)
Anyway with thoughts of Dublin out of the way now, you can concentrate on preparing and qualifying for your real goal of Boston 2008.

Liam said...

Thomas - Firstly, of course we will get together for a pint - that's a given. I think the plan is to meet in Kennedy's after the race, whatever happens. I'll be at the expo as well, and will no doubt be around the Conemara Stand - I usally use that as a base to meet people.

Secondy - Yep, my mother is 92. She is still living alone, and very mentally alert. She just isn't as mobile as she was, and is virtually tied to the house. She had a hip pin inserted last year, after a nasty fall, and needs a zimmer to get around, but she will not entertain going into any form of care, except for a couple of weeks every few months. It's a worry, but she has great neighbours, and I'm only an hour and a bit away, and pop up most weekends. I just hope that I am still as alert when I'm 92.

Philip & Sarah - I would be happy to help in any way I can. I'm thinking of acting a tow truck for the marathon, maybe running the last 6 miles to help someone home. I haven't made any committment to anyone, so maybe we could get together for on eof teh shorter runs one evening in teh Park, and any help I can offer is yours.

Dori said...

Screw guilt. It's ineffective as a motivator. Maybe you're just burned out; you've trained a lot this year. And you've got quite a maraton history. Perhaps a break from training will be just the ticket to get you ready for Boston 2008!

Anonymous said...

Nope, nope, nope!!! I refuse to let you give up on yourself! Yes bowing out of one race is the right decision, and rethinking your expectations as far as a realistic time is the right decision... but from here forward you need to come up with a new stratagy for success. I know not everybody can get up at 2:30 in the morning so as to insure that training will NOT be mucked with, but maybe training in the morning could work, say three days a week. That way traffic and watching your favorite team can't get you derailed again.

(oh and it is the White Rock and I am doing the half... )

DawnB said...

Liam sorry you're feeling the blahs but don't give up hang in there it always passes :)

Anonymous said...

I know how it feels to make the decision to skip a marathon...but, I also think you're doing the right thing. If you want Boston, give yourself some time off--then come back with a vengence!
I am the same way with pints. To some of us, they might be considering carbo-loading :)

Anonymous said...

Give yourself a break, Liam; it sounds like running and marathoning in particular isn't what you need most right now. I'm counting on a drink with you in early November, by the way!

Good on your mum for being 92 and making it on her own. My folks are in their 80's and finding it increasingly difficult to manage (which is why 100% of my vacation time goes towards visiting and helping out. . . a story for another time, perhaps. . . )