Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Easter Passes me Over, Feeling Eggstatic!


A four day break, where did it go? I'm already starting to repeat myself in these ramblings about time passing by and me missing out, but I'm back home after a weekend away at my mum's. I should tell you about her. She's 92 on May 2nd, and whilst she is less mobile than she used to be, her mind is still 100%, and she loves our weekend visits. She still lives at home, on her own, very independent, and I hope that I am still as able when I'm her age.

Anyway, my son and I (He's the guy who designed my blog masthead by the way), made the 75 mile drive on Friday and spent the afternoon and evening chatting to mum before heading out for a couple of pints and catching up with some old friends. Had to be careful on the beer as I had a booking for Saturday morning at a new Sports Massage Clinic in Banbridge, run by Jane Waugh, who is Ireland's Number One Triathlete, and on Saturday morning I presented myself to Jane, who duly showed her sadistic tendancies as she gave me a full deep tissue body massage :) - Must admit it was tough, I have tight calves and hamstrings, and Jane had to work hard to loosen them.

I felt the benefit of them on Sunday morning, when I drove over to Castlewellan Forest Park and went for a run around the lake. Sunday was the first real spring day this year. The sun was out, and I actually felt some heat as I ran in my T-shirt and shorts, the first time this year I haven't felt cold dressed this way. It wasn't a fast run, or even that long, but it was enjoyable, scenic and somewhere I plan to return to regularly on my Summer trips up to see mum.

Over the weekend I also went to get my feet checked at a running store, Up and Running in Belfast. I have been having some problems with blisters and wanted to check that my gait hadn't changed any. Generally nothing different, still a neutral to mild pronator, and whilst my Asics 2100's are fine, I took the opportunity of investing in a new pair of Nimbus shoes, although they won't be broken in until after my May races.

That was basically my weekend. Checked on Monday to see how the Boston Marathon had gone for those I knew taking part, and thought how wonderful it had been to run there back in 2001, and how much I want to go back. My goals this year are to make the grade again, still a long way to go, but as Chairman Mao said a long time ago, a "Journey of a Thousand Miles, begins with a single step" - I need to build on the steps so far this year, and Boston will be Beaconing (sic)!

6 comments:

Thomas said...

*Groan* Eggstatic is one of my father-in-law's favourite word around Easter. Must be a generation thing. ;-)

Good Luck on the BQ goal, that's rather ambitious.

And thanks for that tip on the running shop in Dublin, I'll keep this in mind next time.

Brendan said...

You know, my calves are much, much tighter than they once were. I think it may be that I'm driving much more and walking a lot less.

I'll be following your Boston Qualification Quest--good luck!

Anonymous said...

Great stuff Liam...Mick R.

Anonymous said...

Good on your mom for being independent at her age. My folks are 80 and I worry about them tremendously. Bah.

Bridges Runner said...

My dad's mom is the same way...she's 89 and lucid as ever. She's amazing and if I get those genes....I'm in great shape;)

Boston...ah yes:) April 21, 2008...not that I'm looking ahead or anything...

Anonymous said...

I have been looking for sites like this for a long time. Thank you! Sunroom furniture raleigh 3 blend color contact durasoft lens mto lottery program Home repair circuit breakers