Tuesday, February 06, 2018

Just a brief Update on life (Oh, and a parkrun!)

Obviously not a lot to report in the way of running just yet, given it's only just over 4 weeks since my surgery. On the plus side, I am getting used to everything now, and despite a touch of gout holding me back, I have started to get out and about a bit, trying to rebuild some of the muscle loss than inactivity can lead to. Mildly negative aspect is that I tire very easily, and still find myself having to take an afternoon siesta, and am in bed by 10 most evenings. Sleep patterns are not as regular as I would like, as I have to get up during the night to clear out the stoma bag, but all in all I can't complain.

The BIG plus this last weekend just passed, was that I managed to get out to #poolbegparkrun as it was #worldcancerday and I acted as tailwalker for the #parkrun and walked around with family and friends in under 50 minutes, which surprised me. I felt tired afterwards, but happy to have achieved my first step on the road to a full recovery. I've been told my the nurses that the recovery is far more mental than physical, and so I have set myself little goals along the way, the first of which was to get back to parkrun and manage the walk at least - Ticked!

I have an appointment with the consultant next Thursday (15th), and hopefully all will be OK. After that I'll be planning my return to work, and, slowly, and without rushing things, my return to running. My next goal will be to jog/walk a parkrun in under 40 minutes, and then the 30 minute barrier. All steps along the road.



A number of the friends and family who joined me last Saturday at Poolbeg.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

great to hear things are coming along good for you Liam. best wishes for a quick return to the old life.