Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Starting back slowly

After being given the OK to start light running again by the Consultant last Thursday, I have done just that. Albeit very easily, very steadily, and not very far. For once listening to advice and using common sense, instead of an obvious desire to get going, and no doubt, overdo things.

Monday I went to the gym, it seems sensible to start the comeback process on the treadmill, where I can control what I am doing, and if anything goes wrong, I don't have to walk too far home :). Monday I warmed up with a 1 Km walk, then ran for 1 Km at around 6 minute pace. Have to confess it was hard. The cardio fitness I enjoy most of the time, has vanished, must check with the surgeon if he removed some of that when he cut away bits of my colon - who knew that the colon was what gave you fitness !! :).... I completed the session with another Km of cool down walk.

Today, Wednesday, I was back at the gym, and after another good Km warm up walk, I managed to run 1.5 Km, at a little slower pace than on Monday, still feeling the lack of cardio fitness, that will come, and then finished with another Km cool down walk. Actually felt a little better than on Monday, and I proceeded to do 3 sets of 20 leg curls on the machine, as I am aware that the leg muscles have also reduced in my time of enforced absence.

I am still on target to be completing a #parkrun by the end of March, the target I set myself when I was lying in my hospital bed in early January. Obviously I have walked a parkrun in the meantime, but I plan to be back and able to run the full 5Km within 5 weeks, it will be done......

Stay tuned...

This is what I want to be doing this summer...

No comments: