Wednesday, May 25, 2011

A week passes, I switch countries, and take in a race when knackered!

Yep - That headline about sums up things. As you know, I was heading home to welcome the new arrival to the Mycroft family, due very soon (don't worry, she will be posted!). Since the last post and chorus (prize for the first person to comment as to the meaning!), I ran an interval session (painful), laid a trail for the Hash, had a few dinners, did a bit of Frinking, and on Tuesday morning I set off for home for the imminent arrival.

The journey from BsAs to Madrid was relatively uneventful - chatted with an English/Indian doctor, who has been touring Argentina for three months, had a spare seat next to me (Thankfully, as the leg room was a little tight), watched a couple fo films, The dilema (comedy - 5/10- Ok on an airplane, and The Way back (much better))... Only managed an hour or so sleep, which was a pain, but we arrived in Madrid an hour ahead of schedule - so no hiccups. Onward flight to Gatwick on time and comfy - wish I'd had those seats on the long haul. Then the problems hit, with a three hour delay, but eventually we got back to Dublin, and BOY WAS IT CHILLY! I mean, it's meant to be heading to summer here, it was grey, damp, & I was so glad I decided to take my warmer jacket with me.

Finally reached the house at 5.30 p.m., and after dropping the bags off, I quickly got changed into my running gear (Yes, I am mad......), and despite my eyelids closing, I went and lined up for the start of the Bann 10K - the race I screwed up last year, taking 61:40, albeit on a hilly course - I had some revenge to extract.

I was tired, and I have to confess to a niggling pain in my lower right back - hopefully this was due to the poor seating on the long haul flight, and despite the light drizzle, I was determined to run the course and get my own back.

I have already written a lot here, and you can tell by my split times, where the uphill parts were, so here they are, they speak for themselves - 5:13, 5:08, 5:26, 5:55, 5:19 (Halfway in 27:01) - 5:20, 5:46, 5:41 (8km in 41:48 - see last race), 5:05 and 5:30, for a final time of 54:23.... Very satisfied with the time, if not the overall race. I struggled on the hills, mainly because training in BsAs, it is difficult to find hills to work on, but clearly an area that requires extra work. But clearly significantly better than last year (same course), and probably worth 90 seconds on a flat course.

I'll reflect tomorrow as to how I feel, and what I am really doing home at this time of the year - So, pop by (both of you) and see what I have to say -

No comments: