Wednesday, May 04, 2011

And now the running bit.....

My running report is short, I missed a few runs due to the contents of the last ramble, but I managed 4K this morning on 21:59 on the treadmill, and have entered an 8Km race this Sunday in Constanera Sur, The UCEMA 8K, and hope to run under 45 minutes. My last 8Km race here, back in November, when I was very unfit and a fair bit heavier than today, took me 47:23, and I hope, damn, I SHOULD, be a lot quicker this time.

But the great news this week isn't about my running, but about my son's running. Now, I have to confess, Liam Og ran cross country at school, but didn't like it much, and as an adult he has only tun a couple of charity type races in the past, never really showing an inkling for the sport. As a computer geek, he has a sedentary job, and he certainly has put on weight over the last couple of years since he left University. Well, unbeknown to me, he had started running, and last weekend he took part in the ARC Mini-Marathon 10K race in Dublin's Phoenix Park, his first really serious race, where he had trained. And I am pleased, and proud, to report that he ran 56:14, finishing 264th out of 361 who finished the run.

I remember some years ago when we both ran the Dublin Port Tunnel 10K, where he finished ahead of me in a fun run, I said, wait till you beat me in a competitive race, then you can gloat - Well, I am guessing that the time for that is fast approaching, and I look forward to seeing him develop as a runner, and enjoying the sport that has given me a lot of fun over the years, I hope it gives him as much. Here's a picture of him competing, the first of many....

1 comment:

Theia said...

Good luck on Sunday! And how cool that you can share this crazy, wonderful, awful sport with your son.