Friday, May 04, 2007

Another Day - Another Run...

Friday, and yet again I managed to run. Tonight I went to the gym, and had a warm up and then a treadmill timed run over 2 miles, which took 17:35. Again, I'm far from getting any speed into my legs, but just wanted to know I could run comfortably under 9 minute pace again - It's been a while.

That's FOUR runs this week, albeit only 7.7 miles, but four times I have laced my shoes up and turned the legs over.

Now - An answer to a question... Thomas was asking me how come I was a member of Athenry AC, when I originally come from the North of Ireland, live in Dublin, and used to live in England. The simple answer is that it is all down to a great friend of mine, Mick Rice - he of Athenry and Ultra Marathon fame. When I first came home to Ireland in 2001, I was in touch with Mick, who had recently moved to the Galway area from Dublin. Along with a few other hardy souls in the Athenry area, Mick had decided to get a group of runners together under the auspices of the Athenry AC Juniors, and set up a Senior Section. Mick called me, and suggested that I might like to join the embryonic club, if only to help make the numbers up (that's my words, not Mick's). It seemed daft as I was living 20 miles from Belfast, not 20 Miles from Galway, but given that for the previous two years I had been living in England, and running for the New York Road Runners (another long story!), it sort of made some sense - at least my Club would be in the same country (sort of!!). ..... So, I joined Athenry AC, and the rest, as they say, is history - Great bunch of lads (and girls), and the Club had grown in its few short years to being a major force on the Irish Running Scene.

1 comment:

Thomas said...

Isn't it a small world! The guy who's sitting beside me at work (er, right now, that is), is one of Mick's mates. He used to send me all of Mick's race reports, which is how I first got the idea of trying an ultra myself.