Monday, June 27, 2011

Thumbs stopped, Maisie arrived, and I'm back running!

Well, for once in my life I have a good excuse for not running much, and not posting either. As you know, I was hanging around between Ireland and England awaiting the arrival of my little grand-daughter. Well, needless to say she was a typical woman, - LATE! But what that meant was that I got to have a few nice runs around old haunts (see last post), and also managed to get a Hash in with the Sheffield Hash House Harriers, althoughg it was more like a Mountain Climb, as it involved an ascent and descent of Kinder Scout, and we didn't use paths.

I shot back to Ireland for a few days, spending time back in Banbridge and down in Dublin at my sons, before heading back to England on Tuesday June 21st, arriving in Sheffield as Maisie entered the world at 8lb 5oz, with mum and baby doing so well, they let them home within 6 hours of the birth.

I'm not sure which emotion was running highest on meeting my grand-daughter, but I sure felt proud of my little girl, as well as feeling a pang of ageing, especially when Melanie's partner, Gareth, kept saying, "Let Grand-dad hold Maisie"! Still, I still feel young, most of the time, and I am always have to remember that my own father still had five years to age from my youthful 53 years, before I was even born, so believe me, there is life in this old dog yet!

Sadly in many ways, I had to fly back to Argentina, leaving the young ones behind, and thanks to the Chilean Volcano allowing me to change my flights, I arrived back in Buenos Aires on Friday last, just as the Polar Ice Caps decided to freeze BsAs! I was suffering a bit of jet lag, and tummy trouble, so I rested over the weekend, after taking time to Wet The Babies Head in the time honoured tradition on Friday, Frinks Night!

But today, Monday, a new week, back to work, and back to the gym for a run. I managed a good 4Km on the treadmill, in a time of 20:51, my first run in my new Asics Nimbus 13's, with a progressive increase in pace, building up nicely. having had a week off, I was pleased with this run, but not half as pleased as I was with Maisie, so allow me the indulgence of a picture of the three generations of the family.... Now on with the running.....

No comments: