Wednesday, June 01, 2011

The results are in..

After a weekend away in Limerick to watch the Magners League Final (Rugby for the uninitiated), it was back to Dublin today, and the eagerly awaited challenge between the "Auld fella"(Me), and the "Young Un"(my son). The event, a BHAA Race over 5 Miles in Dunboyne, a race I ran a few years ago, and recalled it being flat and fast. Liam Og has recently taken up running, and despite giving him 28 years (as any father would), it was looking like a close race from his training times, and my own return to running - would it be the case on the day.

The race was to start at 8pm, on a very pleasant evening in County Meath, with the sun still bright in the sky at start time, albeit the breeze did bring a little chill, which would be swept away once the running started. There was an excellent turn out for the race, and we set off right on time, with Og and myself lining up together.

I wasn't sure what tactics to employ, should I set off hard and see if I could burn him off early on, or should I hang back at a steady pace, knowing he was likely to run alongside, and simply try and out kick him over the last mile. I had thought that 8:20 pace would be good enough, and once started, I was surprised to find Og running alongside, as I set off at sub 8 minute pace, and the first mile was hit in 7:56, fast for me, but Og was still alongside - he looked confident....

Mile 2 was reached in 16:01, still around the 8 minute pace, and a little too fast for me, so I eased back, clocking 8:32 for the next mile, and Og pulled ahead... I was struggling a little, maybe the weekend had caught up with me, maybe the niggle in the back, but to be fair, i had felt fine at the start, and make no excuses for the next mile, which saw a terrible 9:04 time, and I knew I was in trouble, despite having caught himself before the mile marker - he had overheated, and taken a walk break to recover his composure.

The last mile. He was only a few yards ahead, but I knew that I couldn't increase my pace dramatically to close the gap. His youthful legs were turning over well, he had got his second wind and with less than half a mile to go I knew that tonight was going to be his night, as there was no way the gap could be closed, far from it, it was widening, despite my own increase in pace. I dug in, but with little effect, although I did overtake a few runners once we made the last 200m on the track at Dunboyne Athletics Club, but I only clocked 8:02 for that last mile, and a final time of 41:39, with Og having crossed the line some forty seconds ahead of me.

The challange had been accepted, and he deserved his victory. Obviously I hope that it will not be the last time we race against each other, and I am sure Og will get a lot faster as he builds his training, but I am determined to resume competition with him, although it might be in virtual races in the next year of so, until we can line up together at a race. I am proud of his achievement. Mildy disappointed with my own run, although my overall pace was exactly what I had in mind, I set off too fast and suffered for it mid-race....

That's my racing over for this trip home, as my next stop is Sheffield and the imminent arrival of Baby Maisie, the main reason for my journey - I'll get a few more runs in to keep my fitness together, and then it will be Grandad (Abuelo) duties before I return to Argentina and the next race......

1 comment:

Theia said...

I have made that same mistake so many times (starting too fast). Still, 28 years and only 40 second separated you two? Not too shabby.