Wednesday, June 08, 2011

Awaiting Maisie

Since the race last week, I have moved onto England, and the main purpose of my trip north, to await the arrival of little Maisie, my first grandchild. In between, on Friday, I got out for a nice run with Liam Og around Ongar, on a pleasant evening, nice and steady pace, with a kick at the end as we ran around 5.3km, on the flat lands of west county Dublin.

Then on Saturday I made the journey by boat and a few trains, to the area where I used to live back in the 90's, Furness Vale, just outside New Mills, and my friends Peter & Tracy, who were kindly putting me up for a few days, and catching up over a few bottles of wine and great food. Went over to see Mels on Monday, and no sign of the baby coming just yet - Expected date was June 7th, but we still wait.

Tuesday saw me heading into Manchester, and my old workplace of the CIS, now CFS, and a great time catching up with Mark, Mike and Denise - Even though it is 12 years since I left there, it felt like only yesterday when I was there. Manchester itself has changed tremendously in the interveening years, with a lot of new build, and the old Arndale Centre has been completely revamped, to the point that it looked completely different - I couldn't find my way out! Thanks to a bit of Tu-inking, I didn't get a run in until this morning - and what a pleasure that was.

When I lived in the area, it was around the time that I was running seriously, and quickly, and the canal towpath along the Peak Forest Canal was always a favourite run of mine. While I might be slower these days, I could still recall the great runs along here, and it was great to get out for an ealy morning run along the canal, with Tracy, my hostess, and the dogs running alongside us, Ruskin & Huxley. We ran an out and back route, of approximately 9Km, taking a shade over the hour, a nice leisurely pace, great conversation. and perfect running weather - for June!

After a shower etc., I took a walk up to Whaley Bridge, and the local Tesco, where I was surprised to see, amongst their range of "World Beers", a NOT favourite of mine from Home - Quilmes, and hopefully, as can be seen from the picture I snapped from my phone, not quite at the price we would pay at the local store in Avellaneda..... Needless to say, I didn't buy any......

Now, I am sat here twiddling my thumbs as I await news from Mels. I have my flight booked for next Wednesday, so a bit more running, no finger nails, and soon, the newest addition to the Mycroft Clan should be here........

No comments: