Thursday, September 18, 2008

Light at end of tunnel

Some of you will recall when I used to be a runner - Hey! Even I can just about remember the days, the Alzheimer's hasn't kicked in quite yet. This summer has been a write off - story of so many recent summers, but this year wasn't just me being lazy. The muscle in my back has cost me hard, and a virtual ten week layoff has ensued. Now, I can confess to Hashing a little, well, every week to be honest, but those of you who have hashed yourselves will know, that running is not the most important part of a Hash.

Well, 20 lbs extra from when I was in Cincy in May, clothes that barely fit me, and a chubbiness that I detest, here we are in mid-September, and I am ready to start running again. Ironically, I should be running a half-marathon on Saturday, but instead, I plan to start with a gentle, easy 2.4 miles around docklands, and as long as I can put one foot in front of the other, Saturday morning will be the start of something big.

Obviously any plans for this year are shelved, but I aim to be back running, with a proper level of fitness for the BHAA Cross Country Season. Now I hate cross country at the best of times, but I have to make a realistic target, and the road race season will be over by the time I am prepared again - so the BHAA Teaches XC on Oct 18th, over 4 miles, will be my comeback attempt.

I do plan to write garbage on here, to get me going again, and so my posts may actually make some sense :) - Here we go again - Come along for the ride...

3 comments:

HeadinBooks said...

Hi Liam,

Well done on getting started again, how did it go? By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what is a hash? I'm presuming it's not something you smoke ;-)

Anyway, good luck!

Lasty.

HeadinBooks said...

Hi Liam,

Thanks for the reply... you have actually been to my blog before but you might not know it because I used to be 'Miss Marathon' - I recently changed the name to something more, ahem, fitting!!! Seen as I probably won't be running marathons anytime soon ;-)

Did you really write the Couch-2-5k plan??? I did start off with that as it happens, it is excellent! I met a couple of other runners last weekend who used it also - it is practically legendary at this stage :-)

monica said...

liam - can you tell me more about this cross country season???