Tuesday, June 26, 2007

It's Getting Nearer, and I've committed myself

Not to a mental hospital, but the next best thing, I have committed myself to the Philadelphia Marathon. The race is twenty weeks - yes 20 weeks!!!!! - on Sunday - November 18th is the date, and I have Bib Number 2057. So, I better get my skates on.

Today, with 20 weeks and 5 days to go, I stand at 197 lbs, I have run a little over 100 miles this year to date, feel like a slob, and run like a whale (OK, I know whales can't run, but you get the picture!). Well, nothing focuses the mind more than a challenge, and this is a challenge and a half. God loves a trier - He better love me.

This week I am on countdown, and to that effect I ran a 5K on Sunday in 25:48, a time that I would have been quite happy about, but the run was terrible. I set off far too fast and was struggling like mad at 2Km, having reached there in 9:20 - WAY off pace, so I stopped, re-adjusted myself and set off again, reaching 4K in 20:40, still too fast, took another breather and then finished running reasonably steadily. What a stupid run - But as I said, having only run 27 for 5K on the Thursday previous, to run 25:48 as a time was great, just a stupid run.

Yesterday I managed a 3K run in 15:31, which was OK, but I really need to start getting a few more miles into my legs. Tonight I hit the gym again, and ran another 5K, this time in 26:49, slightly quicker than last Thursday, but nice and steady, no heroics, and I didn't feel too bad -

So, I have 5 days more before I start my "proper" programme, a big hill ahead of me to climb, but a determination based on history and endeavour. I have been here before, just hope that Father Time isn't catching up too quickly :)

Hope you stay along for the ride......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sweets, I am definitely going to be keeping an eye on you!! Good for you to pony up and enter the race! That will bring everthing into focus like nothing else.... Hugs from Texas!

Thomas said...

Good Luck with the training, Liam. Philadelphia should be great fun.