Saturday, January 20, 2007

Days Like These

You know the days when somehow the run just doesn't seem to work - Well that was me this morning.

Now I confess I am only slowly getting back into my running, and hence my fitness level is at the bottom of the scale, but I ran twice earlier in the week and those runs felt good, starting to feel I was getting somewhere. The weather has been bad the last couple of days, and lazzilly avoided running, but this morning, despite the radio telling me that storms were busy lashing the country, the day was relatively calm, sunny, and perfect for a run.

I laced up, gloved up (it was a little chilly), and out I went for a planned easy run along the quay - It's only 2.25 miles, a warm-up in the past for a long run, but at the moment, an easy "get back into it" kind of run for a Saturday morning. I felt terrible from the first strides. I can't put my finger on it - I was home watching TV last night, ate early, nothing too heavy, haven't touched alcohol for three weeks, and had a good nights sleep. Why was I running with lead weights attached to my legs?

I plodded down one side of the Liffey, dragged myself across the Sean O'Casey bridge and turned with trepidation for the long crawl along the North Wall to the East Link Bridge (It's no more than 2/3 of a mile, but seemed like the last 5 miles of a marathon today!).

Across the East link, and down the lane into Ringsend Village, over the short stiff bridge over the Dodder, today it was Everest, and even the down side of the bridge felt uncomfortable - what was wrong with me. Turning the corner I can see where I finish my run, my apartment block glistening in the reflected sun, but why was it 10 miles away, instead of 200 yards? - Who moved it when I wasn't looking?

I tried, I really did, but it was awful - My body was feeling like it had run Death Valley and back, and finally it was over, I stopped, my hands on my knees, catching my breath as it escaped in wheezes - Remind me, why do we run? I checked my watch, 19:59, only around 8:50 pace, not exactly racing along - Why had it been so excruitiating?

Maybe I'll never know why today was "One of Those Days" - but I do know something, I'll be out there tomorrow to try and find out. Oh yes, THATS why we do it!

4 comments:

Bridges Runner said...

Great attitude. You just have to keep on pushing. Everyone has those days and oh how I wish they'd never come. Good to hear you're safe with those nasty winds hitting Europe!

Thomas said...

You've got to take the bad days in order to really appreciate the good days.

Anonymous said...

I have those days quite often...
lately I really look around when I'm running loops in Central Park, and I think about how lucky I am to run there. It keeps me going!...
Running on the quay in Dublin must be fantabulous!
I, for one, am jealous!

Dori said...

No alcohol for three weeks? Isn't that against the law in Ireland? :-)

Your next run will be better.