Friday, November 24, 2006

No running - You'll understand

On Monday evening my mum - she's 92 and lives on her own (with good support), was taken into hospital after the doctor was called. She had a shortage of breath, and fluid around her heart. I took Tuesday off and went to visit. She looked poorly, but the medical team were clear she was in good form, they would keep her in for tests, relieve the breathing problem, and reduce the fluid issue, nothing to be unduely worried about. They would assess everything, and they would keep her in for a few days. They had my number, and would call if there was a change. On Wednesday I had to work, and I called the hospital, she was doing fine, and I made arrangements to go and visit on Thursday after work - I wasn't expecting to find her any different than on Tuesday - Full of life, and giving out to all who would want to hear.

So, I went up north, hoping to be back for dinner as I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast -

I didn't get back last night.

When I got to the hospital, around 6:15, mum had deterorated into a catatonic state and was clearly very poorly. I was asked to step outside whilst they tidyed up another patient, then the doctor came and chatted to me, telling me that things were grave, and they didn't expect her to last the hour. Obviously I was devasted - I was in a state of shock, I called my cousin, my son, family friends, and went and sat with her. They gave her a drug to try and stabalise her - miracuosly it did the trick and her breathing improved.

Things still looked bleak, and a family friend who is a nurse arrived, and was not optomistic. My son arrived from Belfast, and we cried together. This was now 8 pm. I called for teh priest and she was blessed with the Last Rites. Others came and went, but we sat with her all night - watching her breathing with her oxygen mask - expecting the next breath to be her last.

Around 5:30 this morning, she stirred, appeared to awaken - Up until then there had just been sleep - almost coma-like in that there was no response. She woke, she recognised Liam and I (My son shares my christian name), she tried to talk - She still looked awful - The nurses came, helped her and gradually over the next hour she "came back to us" - her few words became sentances, converstaions. By 8 o'clock she was asking for a cup of tea - And by 8:30 she was sat up eating porridge.

My cousin came and the doctor who had told me last night she had an hour was absolutely beaming with radiant hope - and my mums Lazarus like recovery to date was astounding - she is in her nineties.

My cousin has stayed up in Newry - They are going to try and discover why she lapsed last night, and will try and treat her respiratory condition today. I'm going to rest, try and get a few hours sleep, then drive back to Newry this evening. I went last night expecting an hour visit and a chat - home by 9 and dinner. What I got was an emotional roller-coaster. Maybe it's a false dawn, and tonight may be the same - I hope not - Us Mycroft's are hard, stubbon folk, mum never knows when it's time - Long may it continue.

But if you have a minute - say a prayer to whichever god you might believe in - She would be grateful.

I may not be around for a few days - You'll Understand

9 comments:

DebbieJRT said...

Best wishes for you Mum's recovery.

Thomas said...

Liam, I really hope your mum will recover. She certainly looks like a tough fighter.

All the Best.

Anonymous said...

Take care, Liam - very best wishes to you, your mum, Liam the Younger, and the rest of your family. Your mum sounds like a strong, stubborn woman. I have no doubt that she'll fight like hell to stay.

Sarah said...

Hope your Mum's recovery continues as well as it is. She sounds like she's as tough as old boots. Take care

Philip Byrne said...

Liam, my prayers are with you and your Mam.. Hope the two of you can remain strong.. My thoughts are with you.

DawnB said...

Liam, May God's Blessings be with you and your family I am praying for you and your mom

Jack said...

We've been keeping you and your family in our prayers, hope everything is going okay.

brunettechicagogal said...

What an emotional rollercoaster! Your mum must be one tough woman. You all are definitely in my thoughts.

Anonymous said...

You are such a Hipocrit!