Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Finally - I'm back in the World of Internet

WOW !

These past few weeks have been hard. I never relaised how much I depended on the Internet for contact with the rest of the world - At Micro and Macro levels. If memory serves me right, it was around October 25th that I disconnected my previous service, began the apartment move, and here we are on Nov 21st and my first post back at my own desk in my own apartment. - a relief.

So, what has happened in my absence. Well, the world has moved on. The US has become a more liberal society, those two per cent of voters at the margin turned blue for a while, and the Democrats grasped the opportunity - let's hope that in two years time they don't revert (the voters that is), and more can be persuaded that things just might be a little better in teh world. Still, we have our own elections here in ireland next year to worry about, although somehow I don't think the world will sit up and take much notice, whoever wins here (and it won't make much difference anyway!).

So, what have I been up to. Well, I had a wonderful trip to New York with my 21 year old, to celebrate his burpday. The highlight of the weekend was undoubtably meeting fellow Bloggers on the Sunday. I just wish that more time had been available to chat with everyone. My great new friend Sister Smile was a brick in getting everyone together, and although I have thanked her directly, I must do so again. To those who were sat at awkward ends of the table, I apologise, and I promise that next time I am in town, I will sit next to you, and talk you to death - personally (BCG and NYFG - you know I mean you, in the nicest possible way).

As an aside, and at the risk of sounding sexist (you have permission to slap me!), I can honestly say that running must be good for you, as all the folk I met in NY look so great (JBL and Skylight - don't take this the wrong way either!). Maybe it's something in the water, or the beer, but you girls were a delight - Maybe I could move to New York :) (OK, enough of that - editor!).

So, this is supposed to be a running blog, so what about my running. Ummmm, well, it's been slow - very slow. With everything happening to my private life (like I have one!), in the past month, running has taken a back seat, and my weight is hovering around 200lbs again. I have a couple of races planned in December, but they will not be run hard, although given my shape, they will be hard to run. The first is a 5K, Jingle Bells run, good fun on Dec 3rd, followed by my training partners daughters christening, then on December 10th we have the Port Tunnel 10K. This will be a unique race, with some 9000 taking part, running through the new Dublin Port Tunnel, which officially opens for traffic the week afterwards. So a one off, and a kick start to me as I begin my serious preparation for Connemara next April.

I'm back, and it was long, and I have more news somewhere in my head to share, I'll let you digest this diatribe first.

7 comments:

Thomas said...

Woohoo, he's back!

I've heard rumours that the New York celebrations were indeed memorable. It looks like you left some impression.

Incidentally I'll be in Dublin for the Jingle Bells and I'm planning on running there, even though presently my legs seem to think 8:20 pace is as fast as it gets. Have you got a Santa outfit for that?

Liam said...

Ummm - No - I won't be wearing a Santa kit, but if we don't at least say hi this time - I will scream :)

I tell you, those New York Flyers Girls make me want to emigrate, I could marry them all (even the married ones!) - (That's me in trouble again!)

I promise to knuckle down - I do....

Anonymous said...

YAYYYY! About damn time you came back online. We've missed you!

brunettechicagogal said...

Liam, you're boosting all our egos over here!

Skylight said...

You mean you didn't find me the LEAST bit attractive??? Come on...

Good to do lunch with you and the rest of the Big Apple Blogger Brigade. It was fun, and you may have even started some kind of tradition over here, if BCG has her way.

Keep writing, and I'll be thinking of you and the newlyweds when I sign up for Manitoba next spring!

nyflygirl said...

woohoo, the Flyer blogger babes have our own personal groupie :-p

was definitely a pleasure meeting you and your son!! next time, i'll make sure not to get a seat in the corner :-p

congrats on getting Internet back!! I remember when I first moved to the city, I didn't have my phone hooked up for 5 days and therefore no internet access-i was going out of my mind :-p

runner26 said...

Guess the Flyer blogger girls left a lasting impression :) it was good to meet you--Glad you had a good time in ny. Hope the Dec races go well for you.