Saturday, October 14, 2006

Bouncebackability

Friday night and I've enjoyed a pleasant evening at home, wathching Studio 60 On Sunset Strip, via my PC, had a glass of Bulmers, savoured every drop, and read over the messages from friends on here. And you know what, they are right. Thomas, I owe you a pint. I am going to do exactly what you say.

I have allowed myself to slip into an uncertain territory, using stupid, juvenile excuses, and now it's time to take charge of things again.

The Dublin Marathon is two weeks on Monday - Don't panic, I'm not Stupid, I'm not going to try and run 26 miles on the paucity of training in recent weeks (months?), but what I am going to do is lace up my shoes, hit the road first thing in the morning and let the wind take me.

In four weeks I will be in New York. I'll have a few beers with my son, I'll be there with him, celebrating his 21st. From then on in, I'll have 20 weeks to the Connemara Marathon, and I will be running under 4 hours, I will be under 180 lbs, and I will be trained, hardened, and back on that Train to Boston 08.

No more pitiful excuses, no more hard luck stories, no more lies (to myself that is), and more listening, re-learning, re-training, and plenty of hard work - and most importantly, plenty of fun along the way.

Thomas I thank you for your words. To others, I appreciate the encouragement, now it's time to get those shoes dusted down, the road awaits..... Heck, I even have to lose a few pounds before I get to New York, I have all those Flyers to meet :)......

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! It's hard to start but I'm glad you're trying to take things slowly. It will come back.

BOSTON 2008!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'm actually glad you didn't take offence. I just thought you needed a kick up the backside to get you out of this rut, and I can only do so via the comments section.

Anonymous said...

Go, Liam, go! I expect to meet up with you for a run or at least for some boozin' while you're here. Let's see if we can organize a local bloggers' convention of sorts.

Anonymous said...

Damn, I wish I could join you again in Connemara....the REAL amazing race. Definitely bring some Bulmers and party with the flyers when you get to NY!

Brendan said...

Welcome back--have a good time in the Big Apple, and get on that Train!