Monday, November 03, 2008

Week 1 of 20 - The Countdown Begins

Well, I promised I was going to start again, and this time get there, so here we are, the start of a 20 week programme with a goal in mind. I have no excuses at the moment, apart from the excess weight I am carrying, so here I am, embarking on another Marathon, and once again its a US one.

Some time ago I we were invited to go to St Louis, for a Green Dress Hash Run for St Patrick's weekend, actually the run is on March 13th, and we were looking at making it a long weekend. But having now been invited to the
Shamrock Marathon Fest in Virginia Beach it's looking that the trip will encompass the Hash in St Louis, and then a lesiurely drive across country to Virginia Beach for the Marathon on March 22nd - That race being exactly 20 weeks away!

So today, Day 1 of Week 1, and in the 6 weeks of base building that my plan involves, it was a 4Km trot in 21:37 on the treadmill, an easy, even-paced run, a start which will be developed as we progress. I have a couple of local races in December which will begin the speed/interval phase, so won't be expecting anything spectacular there, one is a 10Km, the other a 5Km, so we'll see.

Just so you can see how much weight I am carrying, I include this lovely picture of me from this weekend Halloween Party - Boy have I got a job on my hands!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Hi Liam, it looks like we're all back on a mission. Phil and I have stopped and started a few times of late but it's now time to bite the bullet.
Best of luck in your training. I'll be keeping a track of your progress and might pinch a few tips along the way.
Are you following any particular training plan?

Brendan said...

I had been thinking about running that same race -- if my ankle, which has kept me from running for so long now that I can't remember the last time I ran four days in a row. The frustration of not getting healthy has also kept me from updating my blog at all.