Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Relections on a year gone by

2007 – A reflection.
I thought I would jot down a few thoughts about life in general as 2007 slips away into memories. I will also write a plan for 2008 and a more in depth reflection on my running for 2007, but first the way 2007 panned out for me.

Obviously the major event in the family last year was the passing away of my mum on May 27th. She had celebrated her 93rd birthday on the 2nd May and whilst her health had been ailing for many months, and the reality to all that visited her was that her days were numbered, her death still came as a shock to us all, and whilst you can appreciate that it is coming, when it actually happens it hurts just as much. I can take solace from her passing peacefully, and knowing her great faith, she was ready and willing to go and join her brothers and sisters in heaven and all her friends that had gone before. She inevitably leaves a great gap in my life, a loss that can’t be put into words too easily, and I am only thankful that I decided to come home 5 years ago, along with Liam Óg, and we were able to spend precious time with her over her last years.

But mum was always one with a smile and a jovial quip, and life must go on, a cliché I know, but go on it does, and there were some bright moments within 2007.

I am living in an apartment in Dublin Docklands these days, and feel like a yuppie amongst the young and trendy who share my block. Maybe I should have said I feel like the proverbial old man amongst the young things, but in truth, I have a great apartment, in a great location in a rapidly developing area of the city. I am 5 minutes from work, and only ten minutes from the centre of town, so have turned “green” in walking most places, and my car gathers dust in the garage for most of the time.

In 2007 I met Adrienne, and we have become a firm fixture. She is a ray of sunshine who has come into my life and helped me through the worst of times, without having met mum. She has been a solid brick to me, and helped me move forward. She lives outside Dublin, around 20 miles out of the city, but we spend a lot of time together and ((fingers crossed)) we will spend a lot more in 2008 and beyond.

Work wise, I am settled into my role within the Irish Civil Service, and love the job. I spend all my time auditing taxpayers, and some non-taxpayers, and am now enrolled with the University of Limerick doing a degree in Applied Taxation, with one week a month spent back at school, and ominously, exams set for March!

Liam Óg is still at Queens University up in Belfast, but is home every weekend, and he has now acquired a steady girlfriend and is smiling and enjoying life. He is hoping to head to Canada in the summer for a vacation, and is working at Lillies Nightclub here at weekends to save for his trip. He celebrated his 22nd birthday in November, and Melanie had her 20th, albeit over in England. Mels had taken a gap year, but I am pleased to say she has been accepted to start at Sheffield University next September on a degree course in nursery education, so she too will be off to college to gain the tools for a successful career.

One of the highlights in 2007 was meeting distant relatives for the first time. A few years ago I was very fortuitous in coming across a namesake, Sarah Mycroft, in the results of a marathon race in Australia. I found an email address, made contact, and lo and behold, this contact led to me discovering family on my father’s side that I was unaware of. Time passed, contacts were made, and this year, Frank and Tricia Mycroft, Sarah’s parents, and my second cousins, came to Ireland and we met up a couple of times on their visit, and hopefully this will lead to more such “family” gatherings in the future.

My best wishes to one and all and hope that 2008 is bright and happy for all.

2 comments:

DawnB said...

Happy New year Liam. Here's to a great 2008. A new year to start over again.

Thomas said...

Happy New Year, Liam.