Saturday, January 05, 2008

First Race (X-Country) of the year

Oh dear!

I did think I was getting back to a reasonable level of fitness - sadly, it was clear by the events today that I am either getting too old for all this, or I have a lot of work to do to get back to a decent level of fitness. Or (thinking positively), I just had a bad day!

A few years since I ran my last X-Country race, I was encouraged by colleagues to take part in the first BHAA race of the year - the South Dublin Co Co Cross Country 4 mile race in Tymon Park, Templeogue. It was a cold day, but fair to say the conditions underfoot were good, and I dusted my spikes off, and lined up with a few other hardy souls, and off we went on a 4 mile trudge around the park, three laps of the circuit.

I won't bore you with the painful details of the race, suffice to say I had a bad day at the office. I took 35:30 to run the 4 miles, and felt terrible. I have felt better at Mile 20 in a marathon when I wasn't fit :) - But I got around, and next week, it's Race 2 in the series, next one over 5 miles - Here's hoping I have a better week.

2 comments:

Antoinette said...

Sounds mighty speedy to me! :)

Are spikes necessary to run cross country races. There is a series in my area that I'd like to give a try this summer, but I've never run cross country before.

Brendan said...

You know, I bought some spikes for this past summer's cross series, and I never got to use them. Not once.

Well, there's always next summer.