Thursday, April 12, 2007

Remember me?

Not sure I do, it's been so long since I tied up my laces and ran "properly", and even longer since I put my fingers into operation and wrote up my blog. It's easy to make excuses, so I won't! Something had to give in recent months, and running was the easy one, and so it followed that as I wasn't running, there wasn't a lot to write about.

But now the Good News! I've actually been running. It wasn't far, it wasn't quick, but it was running. Last week, on Wednesday, I got out to the Phoenix Park and ran 2 1/2 miles with Kieran, my erstwhile running buddy from last year. It was little more than a jog, as Kieran has had surgery himself and is just getting back into it gently - a right pair!

Tuesday evening I was in the gym and managed 3Km in 16:28, slow and not without a little effort, but then again I have seen my waistline increase in size, and my weight has reached an unprecedented 202 lbs, so to complete the run was an achievement.

Tonight I broke through. I have an Italian friend, Monica, who recently ran the Connemara Half Marathon, and will be running the marathon in Lochaber, Scotland, in 10 days. We met up for a run this evening and ran together for 45 minutes. Easy conversational pace on a pleasant evening along the Grand Canal. So many others out running, it reminded me what I have been missing. We probably ran around 4.5 miles, but who cares - It was a solid run and worth every inch.

I'm not going to set any targets, no real goals. I have a few in my head, I know what I still want to do, but there's little point in jotting them down, only to disappoint, so I'll share when I'm feeling in better shape, and the weight drops below 190 - until then, I'll just say - I'm back..........(ish!)

2 comments:

Thomas said...

I was sure you had gone off for good.
Welcome back, and I hope you had a nice break in California. The weather at the moment doesn't leave a lot of excuses for not running, does it?

Philip Byrne said...

Welcome Back Liam. I haven't been doing a hell of a lot myself over the winter but was just "ticking over", back into it full tilt the past few weeks and it feels great. I'm surprised how the fitness has started to return already, still trying to drop the extra pounds though. Anyway best of luck and look forward to some updates.