Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Tagged about my Reading Habits

OK, whilst away I was tagged by Sister Smile with regard to reading. My reading material over the years has varied from trashy novels, through a lot of educational material, and these days I am studying Law and reading far too much -


The book that changed my life: One day in the life of Ivan Denysovich, by Solzhenitsyn. A harrowing account of the Russian Gulags, that I read as a 15 year old, and made me re-think and shape my political ideals.

A book I've read more than once: Lord of the Rings by Tolkein. Well before the films were made (which I still have not seen), I read the three volume tome, and then every few years after, I picked it up and did it again. Think I read it four times overall, although the last time was more than 20 years ago.

A book I'd want with me on a desert island: Some form of Sports Almanac so I could relive all the great sporting moments in my mind as I slowly went mad (assuming I was alone)

A book that made me laugh: Around Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks. Quite simply the funniest thing I have ever read (And I read this more than once as well).

A book that made me cry: Genuinely can't recall one

A book I wish I had written: The Da Vinci Code (Think of the royalties)

A book I wish had never been written: The Da Vinci Code (Then I wouldn't have had to read it).

A book I am currently reading: You can Get Arrested for that, by Rich Smith. Two studenty types head to America to break 25 of the dumbest laws still in existance. Like, did you know it is illegal in Alabama to wear a fake moustache in a church!

A book that I am meaning to read: There are so many. I am a compulsive book buyer. Our book shops always have a Buy 3, pay for 2 offer, so whenever I buy a book I want, I end up buying two more. I last counted that my bookshelves has 60 books that are awaiting my attention! I should open a library....

Just bought three books whilst in the US, that I can add to the "Intend to read" category. Ultramarathon Man by Dean Karnazes, Friday Night Lights by Bissinger, and a historical book "1776" about the obvious.

4 comments:

Crashtest Comic said...

No you don't stink--(except after a long run, I suppose.)

Liam said...

That's probably true -

Then again, don't we all. Enjoy your blawg.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one who thought that The DaVinci Code totally blew. Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco addresses some of the same themes (holy grail, Jesus founds the French royal family, blah blah blah) but is a much more complex and compelling story.

Crashtest Comic said...

All stinking aside--

I read the DaVinci Code (at my wife's behest,) and I thought the whole thing wreaked of the Europeanization of the Jesus tale.

Let me explain:

After the fall of the Roman Empire, when Christianity spread to Europe proper, each European King claimed to be somewhat, if not totally, descended from some form of divinity. This is not a new concept. On the contrary, all leaders (in one way or another,) claim to derive their authority from a higher source, from Pharoahs & Montezuma, to George Bush saying "So Help Me God."

So it stands to reason that the story of a Jesus-lineage surviving in France would make some French nobility pretty happy (or should I say "less miserable.)

But this has absolutely nothing to do with the story of Jesus in the Bible, whether you take it at face value or not.

What Dan Brown did was successfully (& half-assedly) fuse many myths together, which doesn't hold any water as far as validity is concerned.

That's like me saying that Star Wars is false because there's no unicorns in it.

So Liam rocks and Dan Brown stinks.