Saturday, April 07, 2018

First #parkrun post surgery completed

I set myself a target back when I was lying in my hospital bed in January, that I would run a #parkrun before the end of March and get some semblance of fitness back, despite the issues I have had to deal with. well, I didn't quite make it, due to a number of small issues, resulting in false starts, but I was only a week out!

Gout, snow, and finally a chest infection which laid me up for ten days, all combined to stop me from running with any continuity. A few sessions on the treadmill in the gym, but no regularity could be done, and as April started, it was Re-launch version 3. This time, I bit the bullet, and with only one 2km session in the gym following my chest infection, it was with trepidation that I decided to head to Hartstown for my first attempt at running seriously in the 13 weeks since my surgery. I posted my intent on RSP, aiming to break 40 minutes, with a walk/run strategy, but in all honesty, I had no idea what I could do.

Thankfully, I under-estimated my level of fitness, or lack thereof, and I lined up this morning planning to see how it went. Once we started, I settled into a very even, steady pace, by previous standards very slow, and had a minimum of 5 minutes for the first run phase in mind. But I felt comfortable, and pushed on, through 1 Km, and kept going to the 10 minute mark. I then walked 2 minutes, got my breath back, and then started running again. The next two phases I went 5 minutes running, 2 minutes walking, times two, taking me to 26 minutes, and a little over 1 Km to go. Obviously I was well under my estimate, and a further 5 minutes running, and just one minute walking, saw me visualising the finish line, and a sub 34 minute run. I picked it up and ran with a purpose over the last 400m or so, and crossed the line in the official time of 33:41, well pleased with myself.

Obviously there is still a long way to go to get back to the fitness levels I would want to be at, but every journey has to build up, and this was a far better start than I had expected. If I can get a couple of weeks of continuity, with three/four sessions a week, I can be looking at 30 minutes by the end of the month, so that is my next target. Lets hope for no more setbacks on the road. Onwards and Upwards...

#mymillionthparkrun

No comments: