Friday, December 30, 2016

The Farewell Tour

The time has come to put people out of their misery (well, OK, maybe just explain something that was puzzling, doubt too many were in misery!). If you are a Facebook friend, you may have noticed that I have used the term #TheFarewellTour a few times in recent weeks, and questions have been asked. Well, now's the time for the explanation.

As most of you know, Paula and I were married back in July 2015, and have been enjoying life here in Dublin since then. But decisions had to be made about our long term plans, and despite my youthful looks (Ed's Note - WHAT???), I am at an age when EARLY Retirement is possible (VERY EARLY!!). So, we decided, for a number of reasons that this route would be taken, and retirement planned. Whilst not 100% confirmed with my employers (The Government!), if all goes to plan I will be finishing work with the Revenue, on September 29th (give or take a week!). Once that is finalised, we will be emigrating back to Argentina, to be closer to Paula's family, and closer to the sun, as it's a darn site warmer down there than it is in Dublin!

For the third time in my life I will be leaving Erin's Shores for a different life. Once as a child, the second time in 2009 when I first moved to Argentina, and now on a more long term basis. We cannot confirm that this will be forever, as the Emerald Isle has a way of calling you back, who knows?

So, what is this Farewell Tour I keep going on about? Well, in those 9 months left here, I plan to run as many races that have been either, on my bucket list to do, or ones I want to return to, as they have meant something special to me over the years. Sadly the first of those on the list should have been the Raheny 5 at the end of January, a race I have always enjoyed, but I will be working that weekend, and have to miss it. I will be running Trim in February, and another on the list, already entered, will be the Ballycotton 10m on my birthday in March. The Streets of Galway 8K will be another, and very likely the Longford Marathon in August, and Dingle Half looks good. The Frank Duffy 10m will be a blast, and I will definitely be parkrunning as often as possible, with my 50th closing in in the early part of the year.

The plan is to find a race, or maybe a parkrun, in our last few weeks before departing to finally say Farewell, and would love to have many friends join me as I bid au revoir (It can never be goodbye!). Ireland will always be Home, and we will return to visit, and hopefully run and catch up with friends and family.

So, that explains the Farewell Tour commnents, and I look forward to seeing my running family, up and down the country. I'll try and keep this blog posted with upcoming runs, and if you see a youthful old fart shedding a wee tear at a race near you, more likely than not in an #RSP top (Runners Support Page), say hi!

2 comments:

PaulaZ said...

❤❤

Unknown said...

I am so going to miss our trips with chats and laughs to races, u will always remain my good friend and I hope u will still keep in touch through email.