Sunday, May 08, 2016

DCM to Boston Week 1/26 Completed

As promised an update on my first week of full-on training for the Dublin City Marathon in October, and my goal of achieving a Boston Marathon Qualifying time.

The first few weeks of the plan are all about base building, and getting the body used to running seven days a week. Nothing too strenuous, simply easy runs each day. Relatively short distances, and seeing how the body copes with the recovery. I haven;t used this plan since 2007/08, and obviously I am nearly ten years older too, so it will be a learning curve, which may require some tweeking as we progress, but the first week has gone as well as can be expected.

I had a 40 Km week plan, and missed only by 1.8 Km, as I had a shorter, but slightly sharper run on Friday, in preparation for a couple of races over the weekend. It may seem strange to build in races to my training schedule, but I enjoy the craic at races, and also I have a commitment to the Business House Races for work. I am not seeking fast times, or hard races at these events, but I will continue to participate as often as I can, and at this stage in the training, the races fit the plan at the weekends.

The training went well, although I can confess to feeling tired all week, and the legs are feeling it. I ran the two planned races at a conservative pace, completing the 5 Miler, BHAA RTE race, at Donnybrook, in 41:24 (63.05%), which was a little quicker than I had planned, and the Patrick Pearse 5K on Sunday, in 26:21 (59.91%), which is a little slower than I had hoped, so on balance, almost perfect.

Week 1 - Aim 40Km - Achieved 38.2Km - Weight 86.1 Kg

The plan for Week 2 is the same as Week 1, with the only difference being that 5K will be run on Saturday (a parkrun) and the 8K will be run on Sunday when I take part in the Terenure 5m Race. Again, the "races" will be run conservatively, and I look forward to another decent week.

To round off, tow pictures from today's Patrick Pearse 5K - One of my running group turning out in style from #RSP, and teh second of me being grateful the race is over as I crossed the line...

No comments: