Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Still Alive, running again, and it's starting to be fun again!

I know I am really writing this for myself, and, yes, it helps to put it down on the screen (doesn't seem right saying, on paper!).

I haven't been exactly tearing the streets apart over the past few months, but in the past month or so I have been slowly getting back into a routine which includes running, and even taking part in some Races. Now, I can confess to running very slowly in comparison to earlier years, but there is a method in my madness. Over far too many recent years, I have attempted to get running again, started with good intentions, and then fallen by the wayside - for a variety of reasons - some genuine, my back injury for example, and some less so, more down to a lack of motivation and enjoying the lazy life too much.

What's different now? Well, I have no expectation of breaking records,(my own, I hasten to add), but I do have goals and targets. Realistic ones, not vain hopes of my ancient legs suddenly getting back to super speed! And helping me along the way has been Parkrun. If you've never heard of this, then check it out, it's a brilliant concept. A 5K Run every Saturday morning, timed, places, a race of sorts, but more importantly a community spirit, at least the ones that I have run have been. I did a couple last year up in Lisburn, but living back in Dublin now, I ran in Marlay Park in January, and was keen to get back into them when I discovered the Waterstown Parkrun last month. It's a small field, around 70 regular people, from good club type runners, to Couch 2 5K Starters, which means I don't feel too slow. It's an undulating course with a nasty hill to finish, and so far I have completed three, bringing my times down from 30:37 to 29:52. Again, confession time - I walked the hill each week, but that will come.

I'm taking things easy, building the blocks slowly. I have a goal of getting under 29 minutes by the end of September, which might come sooner as my training improves. I'm finding my cardio slow to respond, with breathing and VO2 intake a struggle, which again will come with perseverence. No unrealistic aim, just to enjoy the Parkrun, maybe do the odd other race, and maybe even a 10K before the end of the year. I even got my mojo back last Monday when along with Paula and the team from Waterstown Parkrun I helped Marshall the Rock n Roll Dublin half Marathon - Great to see so many out enjoying the Phoenix Park - I am enjoying running again - Let's hope it continues....

This week's goal - 29:51....

No comments: