Saturday, August 30, 2014

I don't seem to be so good at setting targets this year!

Ummm, I am definitely slipping at setting my goals as I continue my comeback from the long absence. At the beginning of the month I set a PHDPB (Post Herniated Disc Personal Best) of 28:30, and felt that I was well on target to go sub 28 minutes by the end of September.

Since then, I have been continuing the bi-daily training, and have felt good as I was appreciably running faster times for the routes I run, without trying to run deliberately fast times, just running at the pace I felt comfortable at. I missed the last two weeks at Parkrun, the first as I volunteered at the run, and last weekend when I was otherwise engaged. So, after a very comfortable run on Friday morning, I headed off to Palmerstown, and Waterstown Park for today's 5K.

It was a grey day, a little chillier than it has been, especially given it's August, and I only arrived with 10 minutes to go to the race. I didn't have a specific time goal in mind, but felt that I would be close to 28 minutes if I stuck to my plans. One goal I was intent on achieving was the final hill. Every other time I have done this race, the hill has beaten me, but I was determined to beat it today, and wore my "What Hill" t-shirt, originally from Boston back in the days, but very appropriate for our more than gentle incline.

Given the nature of Parkrun, many runners each week are regulars, and as a gauge of where I am, in relation to potential decent runs, I kept an eye out for those who had regularly have been ahead of me. Around the big downhill loop in the first section, everyone settled down into place, and I found myself in a little battle with a woman in white (subsequently found out her name was Lisa NÍ DHONNCHADHA) on her first Parkrun. Every time the route took a downhill stretch Lisa accelerated and pulled ahead of me, once we levelled out I closed the gap, and on the uphills I went ahead. This was the pattern for the two laps, and with just THAT hill to go, we were side by side. I was determined to work the hill this week, and did just that, dug in, head down, shorter stride and beat it. Lisa was following me up the hill, but I had enough in the tank to push on to the finish, and crossed the line a few strides ahead, and stopped my watch at 27:06.... Yes, 27:06.... Lisa thanked me for pulling her up the hill, and I was delighted with the time.

Not only did I break that 28 minute target, but I was close to breaking 27! I better be careful as I readjust that goal for the end of September. The target is aimed at the Rathfarnham 5K on September 28th. A much flatter course than my Waterstown Parkrun, and if all goes well, I have to consider that 25 minutes must be in close proximity that day. There is definitely still more to come from me at this stage, so I shall have to be more ambitious in my target setting - OK, I will be - This one could be a tougher nut to crack, but I'll go for it - 25 minutes by the end of September.

No comments: