Wednesday, September 05, 2007

W10D3 - Nearly half way to paradise

After my very satisfying run on Sunday, I would normally have taken a day off and recovered on Monday, but I have signed up to a Personal Training programme with the gym, Club Vitae, that I am a member of, and I had an appointment with Gordon, my very own personal sadist (umm, I mean Trainer!), on Monday at 5 pm. Now, I have no problem with my running training, I'm perfectly capable of sorting that out, but as I have got older, I have found it harder to maintain the upper body, and the belly! So, a planned programme will hopefully help me keep the shape right, and this will also have a benefit on my running style.

Monday night saw Gordon taking me through the paces, squats, lunges, power walking on a 9% incline whilst simultaneously lifting 5 Kilo dumb-bells over my head, crunches on the big ball, and a few other so called training exercises to please his sadistic fantasies... He kept me at it for 90 minutes, and I tried to maintain my heart rate and breathing whilst pushing myself - It was actually enjoyable, in a masochistic sort of way, just hope that it has the benefits in the long term.

Tuesday, I woke up as stiff as anything. I was aching in places, I had no idea I had places! I ditched the planned long run with Mike, and instead took the day off from training to allows the newly worked muscles to recover - last thing I want to do is to over cook myself.

Today it was back to normal. The pains have gone, and a lunchtime run was called for, along Sandymount Strand, and while I wasn't planning to run a hard run, the 5 Mile trip was taken in 37:04, a 25 second PR for the route. Feel tired from the run, but very pleased with the progress which I can gauge from my times over a route such as this.

I am away at a Conference for a couple of days now, so won't be online until the weekend, but I'll have my runners with me, and will continue to train. I have a 10 Mile race on Saturday morning, part of the BHAA series, and I hope I can run a little better than I did at the last 10 Miler, the Frank Duffy, a couple of weeks ago.

1 comment:

Dori said...

Squats get me every time! Keep up the good work--it can only help your running. How was your race?