Wednesday, September 04, 2024

The road to parkrun 100

Following my post on FB regarding my impending 100th parkrun - doesn't sound particularly interesting, but overall, once you know the reasons why it's taken so long to hit 100, given 20 years of parkrun, it may be of interest. parkrun Ireland asked me to elaborate, and I have written this for them, but in order to save it all, I post it here to remind me, and others, of the journey so far....  

I was living in Argentina when parkrun started, and listened to Tom Williams and Martin Yelling extolling the news of this wonderful new addition to the running scene. I had been a relatively serious club runner for 25 plus years, but naturally, as age progresses, speed tends to leave the legs, and running had become more for fun and exercise, than competition. Upon my return to Ireland, I signed up and ran my first parkrun at Wallace Park in Lisburn in August 2013, and really enjoyed the buzz. The following year, back in Dublin, I built on that love affair with parkrun, and started to become a regular attender, either running or volunteering when other commitments allowed. This continued and by February 2017 I had racked up my 50 and a red t-shirt was proudly being worn. 

At every opportunity on Social Media I praised parkrun, and wrote a regular Saturday morning motivational scribble on a Running Groups FB page (The Runners Support Page), getting many people to get out of bed and get to their local parkrun, and exercise. Things were going along nicely, and I was working my way towards 100 runs and 25 volunteer when a Bombshell occurred! A regular health check up offered by my GP, including a colonoscopy, given my impending 60th birthday showed that I had "acquired" a cancerous tumour in my colon, that needed dealing with. Obviously this was tough to here, and surgery was the course of action in this case, and in January 2018 I had surgery to remove the tumour, and 15cm of my colon, resulting in a stoma & "temporary" ileostomy bag being fitted. I was determined to recover from this, and with World Cancer Day taking place on Feb 3rd 2018, I returned to parkrun as the Volunteer Tailwalker that day, supported by many friends, at Poolbeg parkrun in Dublin, just 4 weeks after the surgery. It was a little longer before I was able to run again, but later that year I returned to parkrun and started to get nearer to that 100 run mark. Then, another Bombshell - When they "temporary" bag was removed in April 2019, I found it very difficult to adjust and was unable to run at all, with weight increasing and fitness levels at an all time low. Then COVID happened, and we all know that meant parkrun was suspended, and time moved on.

As the COVID issues were lifted by the summer of 2022, I had managed to start running again without problems arising, and was looking forward to getting back into some form of shape to be able to go running again, and then BOMBSHELL #2 - A slight tickle in my throat saw a visit to the doctor, who sent me to a consultant, and after examination by camera etc., a Stage 4, thankfully static and small, tumour was located at the base of the tongue, top of the throat. This was hard to take on board, totally unrelated to my previous Cancer, and in many ways more serious. The course of action here was Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy, and in November 2022 I commenced the treatment. Suffice to say, as others who have gone through similar will appreciate, this was very unpleasant, albeit necessary, and very painful. I was on a liquid only diet for over 3 months, lost 30% of my body weight, from 100Kgs down to 70Kgs (I don't recommend the diet), with muscle atrophy making me feel, and look, even worse. All through the harrowing process, I was determined to win the battle, and made a pledge that I would get back to running and get back to parkrun and beyond. 

2023 was a year of recovery, and gradually getting back to a level of fitness to enable me to start running again, slowly, very slowly, and in April this year, I returned to Poolbeg and completed my 93rd run, some 5 years plus since my 92nd. I never lost sight of my goal to return to running, and to parkrun specifically. It was always the light at the end of the tunnel, and the goal of reaching 100 parkrun will be achieved on September 14th at Poolbeg again. Thankfully, as I write this, I am Showing Clear of Both Cancers, and although I will continue with regular checks for a few years yet, I really hope there is nothing else lurking in my body, and that the road to 200 will be a lot easier, and quicker. 

No comments: