Sunday, November 05, 2023

Base Run

 Every time I have been out of the game for a while, upon my return, I like to run a short base test to gauge where I am starting from, and use this from time to time to see what progress, or lack thereof, I am making. For the past 8 years or so, this has been a lap around the block, across from my home in Rathmines. Its a square block of 1.12kms, starting off with a gentle incline for the first 300m before levelling out for 100m, with another small rise, before turning into the third section which is a slight downhill, reversing the gain in the early stage, and finally turning for home, with a dip in the last 25m to the finish.

This morning I ran this in 6:44, a pace a shade over 6m per Km., and surprisingly when I look back, this is the best "Initial" gauge run in recent years. I didn't feel as if I was overstraining, or pushing things at all. I actually felt very comfortable at this pace, which is somewhat surprising, given the lack of sustained running since my ills. 

I won't be taking anything for granted, but pleased with this mornings effort, and here's to a bright future. My entry to the lottery for next year's Dublin Marathon has been made, I'll know by the end of this month, fingers crossed (I think!). I will plan races through 2024 at varying intervals, not going mad, but the one target that will always take precedence will be the Marthon and that Sub 4 hour run. A long way to go from here, but as a certain Chines Proverb paraphrased to - "The journey of 42.195km starts here" 

No comments: